fact or fiction? jockeys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isac777

Reaction score
my LHBS told me I could not use my wort chiller as a jockey box because copper produces a off taste in the beer when chilled and ran through it. Also another question ... I am planning on doing a homebrew spread for fourth of july and was wondering if I just iced my kegs and had small party taps off of them it would work fine and I wouldn't need a jockey box? Am trying to justify buying a jockey box!!! Guess I could rent one huh?

I have read somewhere that copper is not good to use with fermented beverages. For something like a jockey box where it's probably being poured and consumed rather quickly though, I doubt it would be much of a problem. That said, it's probably easier to just ice the kegs and use picnic taps, and way cheaper.

+1 on the chilled kegs with party taps. Plop those kegs into a lined 50-gal garbage pail, connect the gas, fill pail with ice, and serve away!

I have noticed thebetter qulaity jockey boxes use SS tubing.

I have also noticed while hunting / camping a Corny set into about six inches of snow melt fed creek can keep four tired and hungry men in cold beer. Plus only one can to carry out.

DO NOT USE COPPER AFTER CARBONATION!!!

when carbonic acid(this is liquid with co2 in suspension) hits copper it dissolves small amounts into the liquid even with minimal contact time. please only use SS in making a jockey box. look up trasherator on here from biermuncher for an idea how to serve at parties.

DO NOT USE COPPER AFTER CARBONATION!!!

when carbonic acid(this is liquid with co2 in suspension) hits copper it dissolves small amounts into the liquid even with minimal contact time. please only use SS in making a jockey box. look up trasherator on here from biermuncher for an idea how to serve at parties.

+1 he knows what he is talking about. I would not use copper.

During brewing, though, copper is perfectly okay.

Yeast will consume the small amounts of copper that make their way into the wort, however, after fermentation everything stays in the beer and eventually ends up in you. (Google copper poisoning) :eek:

...and because someone usually asks, the pH of beer is a lot lower than regular water so that's why it's safe for your household water.

Renting a jockey box is tough because most of them are setup for Sanke kegs.

Addressing the second part: It's worth a few extra bucks to make 10 ft party taps, instead of the usual 2-3 ft. Coil the tubing and tie-wrap to avoid taps getting stepped on.

Back