Durable labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrouStang96

Reaction score
I'm looking online at packs of white waterproof laser sticker paper, and I assume this is what I'm going to get. It's a bit pricy at 15 sheets for $25 (or 50 sheets for $60), but that was the cheapest I could find on the web.

I figured I'd ask you guys first. What is a good paper that will last on my bottles?

I also read that if you spray a light coat of hairspray or shellac over the label it will help.

Indeed, however I'd rather be using a paper/ink combo that won't run even without an extra coat of something.

if its laser it won't run anyways, if its inkjet then you have something to worry about

i just got my labels printed with a laser printer on regular paper and they hold up with some water on them just fine.

I know the laser won't run, but how well is the paper holding up? How long have you had them on? And you're using plain paper? How did you attach the labels to the bottles?

If it's that durable, I'm just going to find some cheap, thin, gloss white laser sticker paper and go ahead and print.

i haven't done thorough testing yet as this is my first time labeling. the paper is from staples and is called 96 bright laster paper. i attached to the bottles with a glue stick. the paper is actually a bit heavier than i'd like (kinda wasteful to have super heavy duty paper) but its what they print on when you do laser printing with them. when i rinsed out one of the bottles the label stayed affixed well even after getting wet. thats all i can advise at this point.

That's probably 24lb paper.

Well, since you're having good luck with that, I have decided I'll try some of that sticker paper I mentioned. It won't cost much to buy a cheap pack that I can do some durability testing with.

Thanks!

Case closed (til I report back on the durability). :)

Back