bottle yeast farming idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou2row

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Let me throw this idea out and see what you think:

-I get a beer that I'd like to harvest the yeast from.

-I take one of the foam topper for a yeast starter bottle and make it to fit a beer bottle size. Then I slice from top to bottom a section out.

-I carefully open the beer and insert the large section of stopper. I pour the beer into a glass through the section trimmed. As air flows into the bottle, it has to go through the foam filter, preventing possible contamination.

-After I have poured the beer out, I pour in some pre made starter wort. Once the wort is in, place sliced off piece of foam to close off opening.

Let this go for a couple days, then use it for a batch, or wash the created yeast for down the road. I hadn't seen anything on techniques on getting the yeast from bottles, and this sounded simple and didn't see any real problems. What do you think?

Sounds over complicated to me. If I am harvesting yeast and want to save the yeast from bottles over a few days until I have enough to make a starter with, I just flame the bottles after I pour the beer out, spray it with a little starsan, and cap with a fresh sanitized cap. Store in the fridge and repeat the starsan and flaming process when I am going to pour the dregs into a starter vessel.

I've done that with hoegaarden yeast, I drank 2 six packs over the course of a week, and made about 4 mason jars of hoegaarden yeast from the harvest.

Okay, that sounds pretty easy. I was just concerned with the air volume replacing the beer. I guess there should be some alcohol there to help with any small contaminants that would enter.
So I can tell my wife you said I have to drink a twelve pack.

Okay, that sounds pretty easy. I was just concerned with the air volume replacing the beer. I guess there should be some alcohol there to help with any small contaminants that would enter.
So I can tell my wife you said I have to drink a twelve pack.

Id doesn't matter if air volume replaces beer. You're not planning on drinking your starter beer are you? It doesn't matter if it's oxydized or not, the yeast is still protected by the little bit of beer you left, but headspace and such isn't really important to the overall scheme of things.

Back