Carbonation good warm but beer is flat after chilled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
Am dealing with bad bottle caps or something of the like? At weeks I popped them into the freezer for 30 minutes and it was perfectly carbed, floated a bottle cap on it. Set the remaining bottles aside for a few weeks to save them for a birthday party.

Fast forward to today and I pull one from the fridge and it's 100% flat. Pull another one, it's mostly flat like a 1 week old beer (it's 4 weeks old at this point). Pull a 3rd beer and it is also flat. Go into my closet to grab a warm bottle and it is perfectly carbonated. What the hell is going on here? I went through all of the bottles, the caps look good and evenly crimped, no issues with bulging or tilting but the bottles are randomly carbonated.

I dumped the priming solution and racked on top of it in the bottling bucket. I used the usual Oxygen absorbing caps from the LHBS. If it was a mixing issue I would of known from the bottles I Just opened. I normally bottle the first 24 in a case and the last 24 into 6 pack carriers. So far 6 pack have been carbed and the first set of 24 have been flat that where directly mixed with the priming sugar. Nothing is sweeter tasting, if I let the carbed beer sit it tastes the same as the flat, just warmer.

This beer was lagered but not long enough to be an issue with yeast count. Should I take them and roll them and put them back in the closet? (Temp isn't an issue, my house is in the upper 70s)

CO2 dissolves more easily at colder temperatures. What's probably happening is when you're chilling your beer for an extended amount of time, the CO2 is getting dissolved into the beer so it doesn't form bubbles as easily. They probably just aren't fully carbonated and need more time.

However, in my experience, once you cold crash your bottles, it becomes a lot harder for the yeast to wake up again to finish the job.

That is why I conditioned my bottles at 70F for 3 weeks+. Then chill for 3-5 days. They're clearer,carbed nice,& give great head.:D

Back