How an I doing on my Oatmeal stout??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turisops

Reaction score
First Batch ever.
Still learning about how recipes call for target OG and FG and importance (or non-importance) to try to get close to the target . This oatmeal stout is looking for a OG of 1.060 and FG of 1.015 as per the recipe write up.

Oatmeal Stout

7lb Dark Malt extract
1 lb American pale malt
1 lb Roasted barley
1/2 lb flaked oats
2 oz (12 HBU) N. Brewer for Bittering
1 oz Fuggles
1 tsp Gypsum
1 tsp Irish moss
3/4 cup Corn Sugar (I guess this is for priming since according to my reading corn sugar was used to carbonate not for putting in the wort, so that's what I'm reserving it for)
Wyeast ale yeast

After cooling and pouring into fermenter i got an OG 1.034 on 3/30 after a few days of vigorous off gassing at a steady 68 degrees. (I took the remote temp sensor from my weather station and put it on top of my bucket in the closet. I can now monitor my Wort temp with the high and low temps for the day from the convenience of my readout on my end table.) Now very slow bubbling (6 a minute maybe) and showing 1.019 at 68 degrees on 4/2. Still got a long way to go i suspect...

Is there any indicator that I'm on the right track for a good alcohol content or is it too soon to even be estimated? Just looking for some of you long in the tooth brewers to see if the force is throwing up any red flags on what you see.
Thanks all
Chris

Well its hard to tell, one persons "a few days" is the next persons "seven days", so, I would not even check gravity until appx. 2 weeks fermentation, then proceed from there, 3 to 4 weeks in primary will not hurt anything. Definately if it's still bubbling I'd say you're on target so far.

Back