Third Brew Started: Black Dog Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor_Wily

Reaction score
I know I know, I just posted about brew two on Saturday. What can I say? I had the day off and decided I wanted to get this one going.

We have the Black Dog Ale started here. Followed the recipe in the process, so nothing really fancy about that. I pitched the yeast into a jar of 90 degree water with LME added to it at the beginning pf the brew process. This was also the "premium" yeast from Midwest (US-05).

Anyway, brewed it up, no major explosions or issues along the way. I try to aerate my wort for 5 full minutes so I made sure to do that.

Stats
SG: 1.052 (recipe said 1.042 -1.046. not sure why my readings have been higher on this and the other)
Brix: 13%

Sent the brew off to the lab, and away it goes. This one will probably remain in primary for 3 weeks, no secondary.

Cheers!

Hope it turns out great... my only comment is you said midwest told you the "premium" yeast is S-05? I love S-05 but it is far from premium... maybe compared to coopers packets but that's about it. maybe it's premium cause they have a higher profit margin. Anyway, hope your beer turns out great and enjoy this fantastic hobby! sounds like your off to a good start!

Thanks fletch!

Midwest markets the US-05 as their "premium dry yeast" vs their standard yeast which is the muntons ale yeast. I've had better luck so far with the US-05. So it's probably premium to them (that's why i quoted premium, lol).

Thanks for your words of encouragement! I'm already trying to decide what my next beer will be after one of these is done.

Cheers!
Wily

SG: 1.052 (recipe said 1.042 -1.046. not sure why my readings have been higher on this and the other)

I've read on this forum about extract not mixing thoroughly enough to get an accurate hydrometer reading. Or maybe that was just when doing partial boils... Anyway, nice job! Keep up the good work! :D

Thanks buddyweiser!

I figure it was mixed well enough, I aerated for about 5 minutes before taking the reading. I'm not TOO concerned about it; worse comes to worse, the beer is a little stronger :p.

Thanks for the kind words!

Back