acceptable technique?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to make a half gallon starter let it ferment out completely over the course of like 8 days than a half day or day before I want to brew add about another quart of like 1050 wort to it to get it going again and Pitch it having left it at room temp in my brew closet the entire time?

I would give it more than a half day to go through the second half gallon of wort. Also, with that big of a starter, I would consider decanting the spent wort off before pitching. Also, why leave it for 8 days? A starter should be done before then.

I would say RDWHAHB. I never made starters for the longest time because I got all paranoid about the perfect time to pitch.

Now I feel like the worst case is you grew more yeast than you started with.

Though I would recommend a fridge for a few days and then pour off the starter beer before pitching. Probably instead of the second starter in your case.

okay well just an update left town this evening and left the starter happily bubbling away in the top of the closet i think i will just add a quart of 1050 or so wort when i get home let it start on that for a day and a half or so than use that to innoculate my next batch. bad idea????

tnbrewer371 said:
okay well just an update left town this evening and left the starter happily bubbling away in the top of the closet i think i will just add a quart of 1050 or so wort when i get home let it start on that for a day and a half or so than use that to innoculate my next batch. bad idea????

Nope, probably fine. Not ideal, perhaps, but not unmanageably bad either. Safe travels!

Ok so I made a quart of starter wort around 1055 I know ita a bit high but oh well, I also added a pinch of yeast nutrient my plan is to cool it down to room temp and pour it on top of the half gallon starter, after I decant off most of the other wort in the starter, in the closet let it ferment and toss the whole thing in. Sound ok to everyone?

Ok so I made a quart of starter wort around 1055 I know ita a bit high but oh well, I also added a pinch of yeast nutrient my plan is to cool it down to room temp and pour it on top of the half gallon starter, after I decant off most of the other wort in the starter, in the closet let it ferment and toss the whole thing in. Sound ok to everyone?

Sounds good to me.

Back