Background taste in extract kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdleedahl

Reaction score
I have made 4 different kits out of a can with the syrup-like extract, all of different brands (Morgans Yukon Smoked Brown Ale, Muntons Anniversary Ale, Black Rock Bitter, & Coopers Dark Ale) and while they all taste different, they all have a very similar background taste that is clear in all of them. I wouldnt know how to describe it in words because i dont know what it is i am tasting. But i have made a couple "beer in a bag" type kits from the Brew House that did NOT have these flavours. Also, this flavor i am tasting i have never encountered in any type of commercial beer, which is why I am curious as to what it is, or if its a bad thing. does anyone else have a the same experience with these kits. note that i dont think this taste is bad, but if i could get rid of it i think it would be better beer. could it have anything to do with the type of yeast supplied with the kits? would using a different kind of yeast change the flavor dramatically in these kits?

Without your being able to provide a referance point to determine the flavor...this is a bit of a crap shoot. I suspect you might be experiencing a "twang" from the canned syrup. I noticed in the past that canned extracts (and to a lesser extent , any extract brew) impart a slight metalic note to my beer. While I am not a professional brewer, I cook for a living, so my palate is pretty spot on.

yeah i know, i wish i could give a more accurate description of the taste. i hear about a "yeasty" flavour and a "malty" flavour. How am i supposed to know if thats what i am tasting?

Many people complain about an "extract tang." If that's what you're tasting, you can basically eliminate the tang by adding the extract later in the boil, between 15 and 5 minutes from flameout. This will avoid caramelizing the extract, which produces a tinny, yeasty flavor similar to what you describe. It will also lighten the color of your final product, more closely matching the intended design of the beer.

Are you filtering your water? Unfiltered tap water can have an effect on quite a few styles yet be covered up by other styles.

Did you use the yeast that came with the kit? Green apple flavor can come from old yeast not fermenting properly. It can be perceived as kind of a twang.

I would suggest checking your plastic, but if it's new that's probably not the issue.

no i never filter my tap water, just because i think the water here is pretty good. can tap water, even if it is good, cause obvious off tastes? and yes i use the yeast that comes with the kits.

how long are you supposed to boil the extract for? or what is your boiling process when using an extract kit?

no i never filter my tap water, just because i think the water here is pretty good. can tap water, even if it is good, cause obvious off tastes? and yes i use the yeast that comes with the kits.

how long are you supposed to boil the extract for? or what is your boiling process when using an extract kit?

With extract (especially LME) you should really be using distilled. The extract already has a "water profile" to it.

If you use the yeast with the kits (and its probably all in those metallic foil pouches, and not something like S-05), and you're fermenting at the same temperature (room?) then thats probably why your beer all has a similar profile.

I have really good tap water here but using a filter makes a huge difference. A cheap Pur filter works well.

Back