All-Grain batches clear when bottles, but cloudy after carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
When I bottled my first all-grain batch the beer was pretty clear, much clearer than any extract batch I'd done. When it was carbonated (3 weeks in bottle) however, I put it in the fridge over night and poured it into a glass only to find it cloudy. I'm careful not to pour the sediment on the bottom of the bottle, so is this chill haze I'm seeing?

Yep, it sounds like chill haze. There are a couple of fixes- one is to keep the bottles cold a few weeks if you have room in the fridge, or a cold place, and it'll eventually clear. For the next batch, I recommend whirlfloc (it seems to me to work better than Irish moss, even though it's basically the same thing) and chilling the wort to 70 degrees in 20 minutes. The better the cold break, the less likely it is that you've have chill haze.

Yep, sounds like chill haze to me, too. I get it even with irish moss, etc. but it got better when I made a better chiller. If I can leave the keg in the fridge for a couple weeks, it is crystal clear.

I bottle my homebrew. I always use whirlfloc and I always get chill haze, even when I chill the bottles for several days. There seems to be no way to avoid it in my experience so I just live with it.

Back