Yeast gases: What's in them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderPat

Reaction score
When the yeasts ferment, what gases are put off by the process? I moved my fermenting from the garage (too cold), to a basement bathroom closet (still pretty cold)- it's pretty rank in there, but I was wondering if the gases put off are either toxic or flammable? I want to put a space heater in there on low, but don't want anything blowing up...

the vast majority of what yeast makes during fermentation (anaerobic respiration) is co2 which is not only non-flammable but will displace oxygen needed for most fires to burn and actually extinguish the flames. they can produce trace amounts of H2S(hydrogen sulphide) and a few other chemicals but nothing in high enough concentrations to cause any issues beyond the smell.

TO my knowledge the only flame danger is if we hold a bic lighter someplace AFTER drinking mass quantities of beverages containing live yeast ...

FART.gif

HA! HA HA HA HA

Revvy...Tha'ts PRICELESS!

No...Co2 is actually the gas that is used in many types of fire extinguishers....it's not going to blow anyting up! Like K1v1116 said, It's all good.

...-.-

Some yeast strains can put off a wicked amount of H2S, which people around here have dubbed "Rhino Farts". It can smell terrible, but you won't blow anything up.

Back