I am going to go 31 days without beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dried out from jan 1 to just recently, and honestly i see no benefit other then i lost a few lbs, but i could have lost the lbs with moderation and exercise without having to abstain from my beloved nectar, during this dry out period i learned that the only thing more important then health is happiness, we are all guaranteed to die but not guaranteed to be happy, sure there is nothing wrong with abstaining as long as you are content with no beer, me i am miserable without beer, so i switched gears, now its moderation, quality food and exercise 3-4 times a week

Ok, I'm getting in on this. Between Thanksgiving and New Years I ate and drank like a viking. I was so done. I said I wasn't gonna drink in January, but with a hockey tournament and a few other events, I didn't totally stop drinking in January. But I cut down from 3-4 nights a week to maybe one. Dropped 10 pounds with the cut back. Now, I've almost cut out alcohol altogether. Instead of drinking at home, I just drink when I have something going on. I don't really miss it. Not that long ago, I was wondering if I could stop drinking. Not that I was hungover a lot, but just feeling like crap after a night was aweful. I really hated feeling that way.

I also added Keto for a diet. Another thing I didn't think I could stop. Carbs and sugars. My wife is doing 100% Keto. shes down 20+. I'm doing about 80-90%. I was 222 Jan 1st. I just stepped on the scale this morning and it's flickering at 203. It's the best I've felt in a long time maybe even my life. I'm very active though. Coach and play hockey, workout 4 days a week. I was stuck at 221-222 for a decade and was active. I changed my diet, cut down on alcohol and lost weight and feel really good.. I eat very clean today, but if I'm out at a restaurant, I get what I want and don't feel bad. Life's too short not to splurge sometimes.

My biggest problem now is that I have 3 kegs full of beer, that's not going down. Haha!! Two dark lagers and a Kolsch.

Last edited:
It’s all about balance. If you don’t do the things you enjoy, it will never last. Glad things are going well and you are feeling good. Your family will probably benefit in the long run from the healthy transition.
Cheers!

I gave up all alcohol for Lent... it has been 38 days (including today) without alcohol now for me.

For me what I have realized is how much of a habit my nightly beer was. I would get the kids to bed, and then settle in to one beer-- that's it. But it had become my ritual, so the first couple of weeks were hard, just because I was so accustomed to the routine.

The last few weeks I haven't given it a thought, except when offered a beer someplace outside the home.

That said, I will be enjoying at least one beer on Easter!

:mug:

I'm going on a week of no beer and I feel super good. I'm considering going longer than a week, but my original plan was for just a week to not have any alcohol. But after this, I'm thinking about seriously cutting back because I like the way I feel now. I'll just brew less I guess. I have 6 full 2.5 gallon kegs that will take a while to drink if I keep my consumption to a minimum... we'll see. But 31 days, I think would be easy.

Just two more days to go. I put a couple of bottles of Spotted Cow and Moon Man in the fridge this morning, as well as the American Porter I brewed in February and haven't tasted yet. It hasn't been that difficult, but I'm looking forward to Easter. :) Going to try staying dialed-back to just 2 or 3 beers M-F rather than that many *every* weekday like I was before.

I just tried one of the porters I brewed 2 months ago for the first time. 90% pale malt, 6% Black Patent, 4% crystal 20, and 35 IBU. Very good, but slightly over-carbonated. (I just need to pour more vigorously into a larger glass) It is odd to feel the effects of the alcohol from just one bottle of 5.4% beer. :) That won't last long...

Happy Easter, y'all!

Back