Ever have a capper wear out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerPressure

Reaction score
The red baron capper I bought over 2 years ago doesnt seem to be crimping very well anymore. The crown doesnt wrap around the bottle's lip like it used to.

As a result of this my last few batches that I bottled wont carbonate all the way.

Is this possible or am i just goin nuts?

it's possible the capper not crimping is driving you nuts. more likely, it's bad caps. i've ran into some kinds of caps that don't seal very well. can't name them off the top of my head, since i almost always keg, but it does happen

cant be bad caps because ive tried different caps. I am gonna borrow my friends capper for this batch.

I usually keg but I have 10 gallons of tripel that i want to bottle condition.

The cups do go bad from what I was told by my LHBS.. I just replaced the cup and also bought better caps. The ones I was using only had a small seal, not covering the whole area where it sits on the bottle. I have 3 batches that are of mixed carbonation levels due to bad caps/and cup.

Must be the cup on mine. Borrowed my friends and it puts the caps on there much tighter.

with my capper it looked like this when capped /---\
with his capper it looked like |----|

Must be the cup on mine. Borrowed my friends and it puts the caps on there much tighter.

with my capper it looked like this when capped /---\
with his capper it looked like |----|

ok, so the cup on your capper didn't clip quite right... dang tongue twisters...

Back