Aftertaste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made my first AG on Fathers Day, a Kolsch of my own recipe. I'm pretty sure it fermented too hot. I have since bought a johnson and am controling my temps. I bottled the Kolsch almost 2 weeks ago. Cracked one open tonight just to test, expecting a hot alcohol taste. Instead, it has an aftertaste like milk. It has the hot alcohol smell, but not the taste, which is good, but any clues as to what causes a milky aftertaste? Maybe just not conditioned enough? I hit all my gravities and cold crashed for 3 weeks prior to bottling. It's still really cloudy though. Thoughts?

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Here are some common off flavors found in beers. Perhaps milky is a poor way to describe the flavor you are experiencing. You said that it is a kolsch and most people use pilsner malts in them. Did you use pilsner malt, and if so how long was your boil? If it was not a 90 minute boil you might be tasting some dimethyl sulfides.

8 lbs Pilsner, 8oz Vienna, 8 oz Munich. It was only a 60 min boil. I don't know how to explain it. It tastes exactly like a milk aftertaste. i mean I can go to the fridge and take a drink of milk and the aftertaste is the same. Wierd. Maybe it just needs a longer conditioning. Since this was my first AG, and I'm still a relative noob, what are dimethyl sulfides?

From "How to Brew" By John Palmer

Dimethyl Sulfides (DMS)/ Cooked Vegetable Flavors
Like diacetyl in ales, DMS is common in many light lagers and is considered to be part of the character. DMS is produced in the wort during the boil by the reduction of another compound, S-methyl-methionine (SMM), which is itself produced during malting. When a malt is roasted or toasted, the SMM is reduced beforehand and does not manifest as DMS in the wort, which explains why it is more prevalent in pale lagers. In other styles, DMS is a common off-flavor, and can be caused by poor brewing practices or bacterial infections.

DMS is continuously produced in the wort while it is hot and is usually removed by vaporization during the boil. If the wort is cooled slowly these compounds will not be removed from the wort and will dissolve back in. Thus it is important to not completely cover the brewpot during the boil or allow condensate to drip back into the pot from the lid. The wort should also be cooled quickly after the boil, either by immersing in an ice bath or using a wort chiller.

When caused by bacterial infection, DMS has a more rancid character, more liked cooked cabbage than corn. It is usually the result of poor sanitation. Repitching the yeast from an infected batch of beer will perpetuate the problem.

No not dms. I don't know else to explain it other than the aftertaste tastes like milk. I'll give more conditioning time and check it again in another week. Thanks for the help schweaty.

The only reason I suggest DMS is because the majority of your grain bill was Pilsner malt as I suspected. I'd recommend using a 90 minute boil anytime you are doing a mash that is predominantly Pilsner malt. Just some suggestions and I hope you get it worked out :)

I'm bumping a 4 year old thread but... I have this same problem with all my lighter beer styles and it is not DMS (I do 90 min or greater boils on most of my beers and pitch cold). I have not figured it out yet but "Milky" is one way to describe the flavor (other ways to describe it: Chalky or Doughy). It does not taste bad... Just doesn't taste crisp and clean like I want. I have tried RO water with salt additions (targeting a mash ph of 5.2-5.4) but still get this flavor. I get this flavor more predominantly when doing Single Malt Single Hop. I can mask the flavor behind other specialty malts at times. I believe I have eliminated water as being my issue. I primarily use Fermentis US-05 (for clean ales) and S-23 for lighter Lagers. I use liquid for other styles. I haven't experimented with yeast on these lighter styles. I'll add that I feel I can pretty much nail Porters, Stouts, IPAs, and PAs. It's just been both lighter colored styles and amber styles that I typically have issues brewing and being happy with. That's why my first thought was water issues.

At any rate I'm hitting up an old thread in hopes that maybe you found your issue.

I'm bumping a 4 year old thread but... I have this same problem with all my lighter beer styles and it is not DMS (I do 90 min or greater boils on most of my beers and pitch cold). I have not figured it out yet but "Milky" is one way to describe the flavor (other ways to describe it: Chalky or Doughy). It does not taste bad... Just doesn't taste crisp and clean like I want. I have tried RO water with salt additions (targeting a mash ph of 5.2-5.4) but still get this flavor. I get this flavor more predominantly when doing Single Malt Single Hop. I can mask the flavor behind other specialty malts at times. I believe I have eliminated water as being my issue. I primarily use Fermentis US-05 (for clean ales) and S-23 for lighter Lagers. I use liquid for other styles. I haven't experimented with yeast on these lighter styles. I'll add that I feel I can pretty much nail Porters, Stouts, IPAs, and PAs. It's just been both lighter colored styles and amber styles that I typically have issues brewing and being happy with. That's why my first thought was water issues.

At any rate I'm hitting up an old thread in hopes that maybe you found your issue.

I don't see how that could be anything else but yeast you're tasting. I have tasted that flavor many times as I make a point to sample my beers at several points during development; it's always been a flavor that settles out after primary fermentation when the yeast stops being so active.

You may be attributing it to beer styles when it's actually attributable to yeast styles. With homebrew, unless you're filtering, you're always dealing with some level of yeast in your beer. Some yeasts are more tolerable than others. FYI, I find Saflager S-23 to be particularly nasty tasting so I go out of my way to pour carefully so as to not kick it up.

Interesting. Well, for Christmas this year I was going to ask for a keg to keg filtration system anyways. So I'll test that and I'll also try a different yeast.

Zombie thread! Wow, I remember this beer. First AG I ever did. I have sure learned alot since then. I'm also pretty sure I found my problem. It was rust. I did not use SS washers in my newly built MLT and after a few test runs with water and then an actual mash, the washers rusted. Pretty badly, I might add. It is the only thing I could find that could have caused the problem. I replaced the washers and still used that same MLT until about 4 months ago. I also made that same beer several times. As a matter of fact, it's on tap now. I have never had that problem since this one beer. I ended up keeping a this beer for well over a year, trying them periodically to see if the milk flavor would dissipate. It did not, and eventually I dumped it. Binary, unless your problem is rust, I'm not sure I can help you.

Back