late hop additions, no(or little) full boil hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys: Am I reading this article correctly. It says not to hop until the end. Just increase the amount of hops to get the needed IBU but keep all additions to the last 5-20 minutes. The amount of hops needed must be increased since utilization for the times is much less than for a full 60 minute boil. If the beer is a bigger IBU beer then some full boil hops will be needed. I just started to do a FW hopping in the last 2 batches and now this! Apparently the beer is less "coarse". I wonder if a hop grower put this out;)
Fourteen Essential Questions About Yeast Starters

I, too, am very curious about this idea. Has anyone tried it? I absolutely love my hoppy, citrusy West Coast IPAs. I would love to hear any and all advice on getting more hop aroma and flavor into my beer.

I think my ideal IPA or double IPA would be a roughly 6.5% - 8% golden/light amber beer that tastes dry with incredible aromatics and flavor but with less than 85 IBUs. I'm thinking along the lines of Stone Ruination, Pliny the Elder, or even Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

Advice on how to achieve such a thing? I've been using less Crystal malt and using lower lovibond crystal...

I recently tried the "hop burst" idea with my IPAngus (see my signature line). I started with the first addition at 35 minutes remaining, and then another at 25 minutes, followed by every 5 minutes after after that. I did the 35 and 25 minute additions to get a bit more bittering for a little less total hops.

This IPA came out pretty well, and I would agree that the bitterness is less "harsh." My wife, who isn't a big IPA fan, even likes this one - although that may have also had something to do with the Belgian Ale yeast that I used. Beersmith calculated it at 92 IBU, and I'm drinking it up! :mug:

I did this with a pale ale. turned out great with a big hop nose and not too much residual bitterness.

Any additions under 20 min shouldn't give bitterness or very little. You are now in the flavor zone. If you are trying to bitter with late additions you will be consuming large quantities of hops. to increase flavor and aroma look into FWH and dry hopping as alternatives. I still add a decent 60 and sometimes 45 min addition, but dry hop almost all of my beers and have FWH the last few brews. My last IPA used 7 oz of hops for 10 gall with 1 oz 13.2 aa bittering at 60 min and 2 oz at 20. The beersmith IBU was still only 53.

Any additions under 20 min shouldn't give bitterness or very little. You are now in the flavor zone. If you are trying to bitter with late additions you will be consuming large quantities of hops. to increase flavor and aroma look into FWH and dry hopping as alternatives. I still add a decent 60 and sometimes 45 min addition, but dry hop almost all of my beers and have FWH the last few brews. My last IPA used 7 oz of hops for 10 gall with 1 oz 13.2 aa bittering at 60 min and 2 oz at 20. The beersmith IBU was still only 53.

Actually, alpha acid extraction is not a linear function, and a good percentage of the AA's have been isomerized by 15 minutes into the boil.

I have an IPA, that has NO regular boil additions, and comes in aroun 60 IBU's. It takes a couple extra ounces of hops, but it is BY FAR my favorite homebrew.

Gotta love the late additions. I usually try to get my IBU level to about 15 points below the desired mark with the 60 minute additions... then load up at 10 min, 5 min, and 1 min. I did an IPA this way and the nose and flavor were amazing. Less harsh bittering finish, too.

A 15 minute add will give you about half the IBU of a 60 minute add. It's a great way to get massive flavor and aroma, but it means using twice the hops or more.

Actually, alpha acid extraction is not a linear function, and a good percentage of the AA's have been isomerized by 15 minutes into the boil.

I have an IPA, that has NO regular boil additions, and comes in aroun 60 IBU's. It takes a couple extra ounces of hops, but it is BY FAR my favorite homebrew.

+1, that's one of the articles main point. Below is their calculations:

To use this technique in your own beers, replace all or part of your traditional bittering hop additions with additions at 20 minutes or less left in the boil, increasing the amount of hops to get the same IBUs. Replace all of your bittering hops for an intense hop flavor. Replace a lesser amount to just enhance the hop flavor.
While isomerization is limited during a short boil, hop utilization isn’t linear across the boil time. You don’t need 6 times as much hops for a 10 minute boil as compared to a 60 minute boil. Assuming you’re getting about 30% utilization at 60 minutes, you’ll get around 17% at 20 minutes, 14% at 15 minutes, and around 10% at 10 minutes. So you’ll need to approximately double or triple your hops to get an equivalent bitterness. If you’re already calculating your bitterness with software or some other tool, use the same method to make this adjustment.
It is said that most formulas for calculating bitterness are not as reliable for very late hop additions, but don’t let that stop you. It is quite difficult to detect a 5 IBU difference in most moderately bittered beers and impossible in a highly bittered beer.
In beers with significant bitterness (50+ IBU), you might still want to add a charge of high alpha hops early in the boil. If you don’t, the amount of hop flavor can completely overwhelm some beers.

I'm brewing my first IPA this weekend and was going to try some form of this as a less bitter IPA is exactly what I'm looking for. I have the Northern Brewer three-hearted kit and was thinking about taking about half the hops out of the 60 minute addition and adding them later. Any comments?

Also on my previous beers I siphoned the wort into the carboy and left most of the hops behind. Should I dump it all in for an IPA or will it not make a difference either way?

I'm brewing my first IPA this weekend and was going to try some form of this as a less bitter IPA is exactly what I'm looking for. I have the Northern Brewer three-hearted kit and was thinking about taking about half the hops out of the 60 minute addition and adding them later. Any comments?

Also on my previous beers I siphoned the wort into the carboy and left most of the hops behind. Should I dump it all in for an IPA or will it not make a difference either way?

If I read the article correctly you can remove 1/2 of the 60' hops, double the amount and add for the final 15 minutes. At 15' you get 14% hop utilization vs. 30% at 60 ' boil thus 2x's the amount(or close to 2x's) to equal the IBUs.

+1, that's one of the articles main point. Below is their calculations:

To use this technique in your own beers, replace all or part of your traditional bittering hop additions with additions at 20 minutes or less left in the boil, increasing the amount of hops to get the same IBUs. Replace all of your bittering hops for an intense hop flavor. Replace a lesser amount to just enhance the hop flavor.
While isomerization is limited during a short boil, hop utilization isn’t linear across the boil time. You don’t need 6 times as much hops for a 10 minute boil as compared to a 60 minute boil. Assuming you’re getting about 30% utilization at 60 minutes, you’ll get around 17% at 20 minutes, 14% at 15 minutes, and around 10% at 10 minutes. So you’ll need to approximately double or triple your hops to get an equivalent bitterness. If you’re already calculating your bitterness with software or some other tool, use the same method to make this adjustment.
It is said that most formulas for calculating bitterness are not as reliable for very late hop additions, but don’t let that stop you. It is quite difficult to detect a 5 IBU difference in most moderately bittered beers and impossible in a highly bittered beer.
In beers with significant bitterness (50+ IBU), you might still want to add a charge of high alpha hops early in the boil. If you don’t, the amount of hop flavor can completely overwhelm some beers.

There's a chart in Papazian's TCJOHB on Hop Utilization that lays out how much hops versus time.

In short, at 60 mins you get 30% hop utilization (all bitterness), at 30 mins 15% (bitterness and flavor), 15 mins 7% (some flavor and aroma), etc.

If you shorten the boil time then you have to double up on the hops. ;)

There's a chart in Papazian's TCJOHB on Hop Utilization that lays out how much hops versus time.

In short, at 60 mins you get 30% hop utilization (all bitterness), at 30 mins 15% (bitterness and flavor), 15 mins 7% (some flavor and aroma), etc.

If you shorten the boil time then you have to double up on the hops. ;)

Same principal but different numbers. My article says:
"Assuming you’re getting about 30% utilization at 60 minutes, you’ll get around 17% at 20 minutes, 14% at 15 minutes, and around 10% at 10 minutes."

Latest posts

Back