Brew Boss Systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I bought a new hide out for the cat for $1500 and got a really cool brew system for free.:ban: Try that tactic when your trying to convince the wife.;)

P1020529.jpg

Hrm, I'm on Verizon but will give that a try when I get back home.

I think there's something about the alert message format that is getting the messages filtered out by t-mobile. I had Brew-Boss send the alerts to my gmail account and then used gmail to forward the messages to my phone as an SMS and they still aren't showing up. They get to the gmail account and are filtered without a problem but they never make it to my phone.

I guess I'll live with getting the alerts as emails for now. Unfortunately I find that my phone doesn't always push email notifications in a timely manner.

Worked on Verizon, text said it came from "Anonymous" though. I noticed that there isn't an actual From address in the email notifications. Like if you hit reply, the To field just gets Brew-Boss, not an email address. The return path in the header is [email protected], but not having that from address might be what's causing the issue.

I thought about the same forwarding setup you tried, surprised that didn't work, but guessing it just sends on the email without adding/changing the from address. You could probably setup an IFTTT recipe to send you a text anytime you get an email with "Brew-Boss Brewing Alert" in the subject.

Thanks for checking it out. I did notice the lack of address on the alerts and I think you're right about it maybe being the problem. It's funny, I had the same thought about setting up something on IFTTT but haven't gotten around to looking into it.

I've run into my first problem with the controller. It stopped feeding power to my pump. I can plug the pump into a seperate extension cord and run it manually no problem. So the pump seems to be fine. Tried emailing Darin and surprising didn't get a response back yet. I just sent another follow up email today. Anyone have any troubleshooting steps?

I've run into my first problem with the controller. It stopped feeding power to my pump. I can plug the pump into a seperate extension cord and run it manually no problem. So the pump seems to be fine. Tried emailing Darin and surprising didn't get a response back yet. I just sent another follow up email today. Anyone have any troubleshooting steps?

I had this happen with one of my heating elements (i have the dual 120v one). I had to open up the controller and found a loose wire which I jammed back in place so it made contact. IM guessing youve got something similar there

I had the same problem. Same as m00ps, I opened the controller and one of the wires was loose. It would cause the temperature to fluctuate wildly and the pump wouldn't power on.

I have one of the 1st generation models but had the same problem with my punp. Ended up being the power pack that fed the BB controller was bad. Might want to test it if you have a multimeter. Darin said he would send me another or I could find one with the same specs I had laying around. That's what I did, spliced the connection plug on and it worked. I couldn't tell that the power pack was the problem b/c I was also connecter to computer via usb. Computer was strong enough to power the display but not cycle the pump on/off.

I am getting ready for my first BB brew session but I wanted to ask about programming the brew session. I didn't realize this when I bought the system that I might have to have a different program for every beer I brew due to the different hop schedules. For instance, virtually every beer I brew has a different hop schedule so the way I understand how the BB system works I'd have to write a new "brew step" program for each and every beer I brew. Is this the case? If this is true, is there a way to quickly edit existing brew step programs so that I'll I really have to do is move around or add or subtract certain hop additions rather than having to re-write the entire brew steps for each and every beer I make?

I am getting ready for my first BB brew session but I wanted to ask about programming the brew session. I didn't realize this when I bought the system that I might have to have a different program for every beer I brew due to the different hop schedules. For instance, virtually every beer I brew has a different hop schedule so the way I understand how the BB system works I'd have to write a new "brew step" program for each and every beer I brew. Is this the case? If this is true, is there a way to quickly edit existing brew step programs so that I'll I really have to do is move around or add or subtract certain hop additions rather than having to re-write the entire brew steps for each and every beer I make?

You can open an existing brew step file, then click and hold to insert a step. Then just save with a different name.
Also, I think this post https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7319887&postcount=636 has a step file editor for modification.

There is also this one that is pretty useful: http://brewingintheburgh.com/brew-boss/index.html.

I have a generic single infusion mash 152 for 75 minutes profile that I use. I then manually change the mash temp if it to be higher or lower while mashing. I do have 3 or 4 other profiles that I programmed in with more elaborate multi-step specifically for a certain beer but I only use them every once in a while.

...I might have to have a different program for every beer I brew due to the different hop schedules. For instance, virtually every beer I brew has a different hop schedule so the way I understand how the BB system works I'd have to write a new "brew step" program for each and every beer I brew.

I didn't jump on the hop-boss specifically for this reason. I think it is neat, however a pain to program. To me I don't see it as a huge deal to walk by the pot, check the boil and the time, and toss in some hops. If I am away from the pot for an extended period of time, I'll carry the tablet around with me and glance at the times on it. In my opinion, it is more of a pain to program a mash and hop schedule for every beer. KISS principle.

Hit the export data button at the bottom of the page, it will have you download export.stp file. Rename it to whatever you are brewing, hook up your tablet to your computer, then copy your stp file(s) into Internal storage -> BrewBoss-> StepFiles, and your recipe(s) should show up in the Brew Boss App when you load a recipe.

Will this work just like you've laid out with a Mac? I guess what I'm really asking is if I will be able to hook up the Brew Boss tablet to my Mac in order to upload the brew steps to the tablet like you spelled out.

Maybe I could modify the step generator to generate a link to download the file. That way you could go right to the tablet to download it. Any interest? I don't have a Mac so I don't know if you'll be able to hook the tablet up to it to copy the file over. I would imagine you could.

I've been using an iPad 2 with the app and it has been horrendous. Crashes constantly and is insufferably slow. I ended up manually brewing with it for most of tonight's brew.

I'm sure it's just a function of the hardware being dated. Anyone have a recommendation on a decent tablet that's responsive and not overly expensive?

Bonus pic of my hop spider/ infuser rod setup:
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455685535.820400.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455685551.125553.jpg

@Snicklefritz, I was trying to remember who made the Brew-Boss Step Generator, I was too lazy to go back though 75+ pages to find who posted it. Good job on it by the way I like it.

@Beavdowg sorry I don't have experience with a Mac, it seems like it should be the same process, all you have to do is copy the output file to your tablet.

Anyone have a recommendation on a decent tablet that's responsive and not overly expensive?

I like and use this one: DigiLand - 7" Tablet. It is cheap but works. The battery lasts maybe 2 hours of running the brew boss software if your lucky, so keep it plugged while brewing.

Bonus pic of my hop spider/ infuser rod setup:

I don't know what that is but I think Kim Jong Un would approve:
h_51507367.jpg

I just got the amazon fire 7inch. Brand new it is only 49.00. You can't beat the price for an android tablet. Works just fine with the brew boss app.

Really?! I just got the new Kindle Fire 7" too and the app keeps crashing almost every time I attempt to edit steps. :confused: Not sure what is going on with it. I do like the action of the Brew Boss app on the Kindle though. Very fast response time. Sent an email to Darin.

Your not having any issues with crashing?

Maybe I could modify the step generator to generate a link to download the file. That way you could go right to the tablet to download it. Any interest? I don't have a Mac so I don't know if you'll be able to hook the tablet up to it to copy the file over. I would imagine you could.

Yes, interested.

Will this work just like you've laid out with a Mac? I guess what I'm really asking is if I will be able to hook up the Brew Boss tablet to my Mac in order to upload the brew steps to the tablet like you spelled out.
Regarding use with OS X via USB, you just need the Android File Transfer app:
https://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Alternately, use Bluetooth:
http://www.howtogeek.com/208365/how...ransfer-between-os-x-and-android-5.0-devices/

You will also want a file browser app on your tablet:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=file manager&c=apps&hl=en

Really?! I just got the new Kindle Fire 7" too and the app keeps crashing almost every time I attempt to edit steps. :confused: Not sure what is going on with it. I do like the action of the Brew Boss app on the Kindle though. Very fast response time. Sent an email to Darin.

Your not having any issues with crashing?

I had/have the same thing. I can't remember exactly what Darin said to do, it's at home, it was something like go to the file mgr, Brew Boss, then there was a folder for last files or something and you delete it. If that doesn't work remove and reinstall the app. Let me know if you find a good fix because mine still does it once in awhile. Sorry I can't be more clear on the explanation.

file mgr, brew boss step files, remove lastused.stp. If that doesn't work remove the entire Brew-Boss folder and then run the app again.
If that still doesn't fix it uninstall the app and reinstall.

Last edited:

I use a Mac but haven't tried to connect the tablet to the Mac. I've been using Dropbox or Google drive to transfer the files between Mac and tablet.

I had/have the same thing. I can't remember exactly what Darin said to do, it's at home, it was something like go to the file mgr, Brew Boss, then there was a folder for last files or something and you delete it. If that doesn't work remove and reinstall the app. Let me know if you find a good fix because mine still does it once in awhile. Sorry I can't be more clear on the explanation.

Thanks for the insight. At least I'm not the only one. :mug:

Here's what Darin said. "The problem lies with the most recent compiler for Android. The Google Play store has required all apps be SDK version 11 or higher. That SDK level added internal core functionality that some versions of Android don't like causing the intermittent crashing. That is what is causing the file system read and write errors." He said he is working on a fix for the problem.

In the meantime he sent me an APK file with version 1.18 to replace 1.25. The APK has a few less features, but it does everything I want it to.

I installed, tested the editor, and did a wet run to make sure it's communicating with the system properly. Worked flawlessly. In fact, I much prefer the Kindle Fire to any other device I've paired with the BB to date (tried Dragon Touch tablet, IPad, iPhone, and Andy Emulator). The Kindle is fast and stable (with version 1.18). Plus it was $40. I like editing on it as well. All is right in the world again.

It's been said before, but Darin is a stand up business owner. Very happy I went with the Brew Boss.

I just got the amazon fire 7inch. Brand new it is only 49.00. You can't beat the price for an android tablet. Works just fine with the brew boss app.

I was going to suggest something like the Amazon Fire. Whatever you do, you want a capacitative touch screen, not resistive.

Amazing, easy to brew, easy to clean. FANTASTIC customer service. 20 minutes to heat strike water vs. an hour with a blichmann burner. Only 1 pot to clean instead of 2 and rinsing out the 3rd, an hlt. Running pbw in the EXCHILERATOR vs using a toilet brush on an immersion chiller. Steady no fuss mash temps vs. turning on and off the propane on my RIMS system. Anybody want to buy my 3x 15 gallon, 2 pump, 3 burner RIMS setup?

Amazing, easy to brew, easy to clean. FANTASTIC customer service. 20 minutes to heat strike water vs. an hour with a blichmann burner. Only 1 pot to clean instead of 2 and rinsing out the 3rd, an hlt. Running pbw in the EXCHILERATOR vs using a toilet brush on an immersion chiller. Steady no fuss mash temps vs. turning on and off the propane on my RIMS system. Anybody want to buy my 3x 15 gallon, 2 pump, 3 burner RIMS setup?

You could keep the mash tun and use it as a kettle-RIMS setup for the occasions you want 10 gallons of 1.100 :rockin:

Sounds like the Kindle Fire might be the way to go for me. Anyone else on here use one with good results? Anyone else have issues with it?

I got the 10.1" tablet that Darin sells with my system and haven't had any problems with it at all. Now, I have only done a wet run twice but I guess I'm not understanding why there's interest in a different tablet than what Darin supplies in his kits. Is it because you want to use the tablet for things other than Brew Boss?

Cheers:mug:

Sounds like the Kindle Fire might be the way to go for me. Anyone else on here use one with good results? Anyone else have issues with it?

I'm using the Fire tablet, but have only done the wet run a couple of times and one real brew session so far. No issues during the brews, however the app did crash a couple of times when I was loading different brew step profiles. When that happens I just restart the app and it loads with that profile, I can then edit it at that point.

Although, I've been using the web page mentioned earlier to do most of the edits anyway, so not a big issue for me. I give the Fire a thumbs up for a BB interface with just that one issue, which it sounds like Darin is already working on fixing.

Ordered the fire tonight. I heard some other user say some not great things about the stock tablet that comes with the system. Maybe the ten incher is different.

I got the 10.1" tablet that Darin sells with my system and haven't had any problems with it at all. Now, I have only done a wet run twice but I guess I'm not understanding why there's interest in a different tablet than what Darin supplies in his kits. Is it because you want to use the tablet for things other than Brew Boss?

Cheers:mug:

I've got the same one, and while I haven't had any problems either, it's pretty slow even with only the Brew Boss app running. I don't think I'd go out and buy a Fire to replace it but I'd definitely recommend for new buyers to get something better.

I forgot to mention that I use an app on the tablet called AirDroid that allows me to connect to the tablet from my laptop wirelessly to transfer the STP files after I generate them with my generator page. Prepping for a 15g batch tomorrow so it was fresh on my mind :) I've got 15g of a Guinness clone on the way to put on my new nitro tap!

Edit... figured it out.

Apologies if I missed this, but is there a way to send an .stp file from a computer to the Fire tablet? I tried with bluetooth but it failed... would love to be able to use Snicklefritz's generator to make profiles but struggling to get the file from my comp to the table app.

I completed my 4th brew on by new BB system last night (15 gal, bag with false bottom). First 3 produced results that went bad, horrible, drinkable. Hoping for better results this time. I was able to learn how to set up my Beersmith profiles which helped me hit my targets this time. My pre-boil gravity was dead on and I came within .001 of my estimated OG into the fermenter. I had to set my equipment brewhouse efficiency at 60% to achieve this with a trub/chiller loss set to 1.6 gal. Is this what others experience? It would be nice to increase my equipment efficiency to be able to cut down on the cost of grain and hops some, but not critical.

I am going to have to check out using the BB app on my son's Kindle. I have his old Nook I installed Android on and the BB app crashes a lot during set up. Between this and trying to set up the brew steps on brew day it turns it into a very long day. Yesterday was a 6 hr session. Way too long with a busy schedule.

1.6 gal of trub/chiller loss seems excessive, though I can't comment exactly to the BB since my system was DIY and i just use the controller. I am getting about .5 gal of loss per batch.

As for the software, I just got the cheap fire (as you can tell from the previous post). Last night i figured out how to move files generated using Snicklefritz's step generator over to the fire. That makes a huge difference because, as you noted, the app is prone to crashing on certain devices while you are trying to set up a brew and it can drive you absolutely insane.

Here's a shot of last night's brew trub from an IPA using 5 oz of hops in the kettle.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1456152588.975099.jpg

First 3 produced results that went bad, horrible, drinkable. Hoping for better results this time. ..... I had to set my equipment brewhouse efficiency at 60% to achieve this with a trub/chiller loss set to 1.6 gal. Is this what others experience?

Hey Feem74, can you elaborate on your first 3 results went horrible? Did you get infections? Off Tastes? Didn't hit the gravity you wanted?

A couple of tips for Brewhouse efficiency:

Grains - Mill your grains fine, if you have a grain mill set it for .039" (the size of a credit card) if not smaller. If you are getting them milled at the store, have them double mill them.

Stir, pump, squeeze - If you are using the false bottom grain bag method, open up your pump all the way if you can, as long as the temp probe stays under water. In addition try to stir it every 10 minutes or so, that your grains are getting evenly rinsed. Try and squeeze your bag well and let it drip dry over your pot as you boil.

Water - if you can, pay attention to your water profile, I would recommend either EZ Water Calculator or Brun Water. I prefer EZ Water Calculator, as it is more dumbed down and straightforward for me to use. Even if you don't have a pH meter they can get you into the ballpark of what water additions you need. I.E. how much lactic acid you should put in your mash.

Tipping or Pickup tube - This is the one that is probably dinging on with your efficiency, you probably don't want 1.6 extra gallons left in the kettle. Darin recommends tipping your pot when it gets low, try and get the wort and not the trub, or get everything. Brulosophy did an experiment awhile back, and found that the more trub you have in your fermentor, the clearer your beer turned out. I built and installed a pickup tube for my brew boss, it works great for me and leaves .5 a gallon left over in my pot, pump and tubing.

I hope this helps! :mug:

Gimpkins,

Thanks for posting this tutorial on installing a pickup tube on the Brew Boss. I'm assuming that the feet at the bottom of the COFI filter do not hit that pickup tube, right?

Cheers!

Back