Help! Halloween ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightofale

Reaction score
I need a Halloween ale to brew! I have three going right now an some how forgot a Halloween ale. If any one knows a good Recipe please let me know. (I love grittys 'Halloween ale' local brew up in maine). Also I can only do Partial mash!

I've never tried this beer, but BeerAdvocate says it's an ESB. You could start by looking for an ESB if you like that beer. The tasting notes of other drinkers note "buttery" so it's safe to say that you'll want to use a yeast strain that produces a good amount of diacetyl and bottle the beer fairly early on while the fermentation is complete but still young (depending on how much of this flavor you want).

There are tons of alternatives as well. Some people like to brew amber ales during the fall, Scottish ales are nice, some people like to brew milds, and pumpkin beers are very popular as well.

Thank you for the post, I've made a ESB few months back. Was great, something myself an friends could drink. Would else would you add to make a Halloween ale?

I'm fond of doing traditional stuff like a pumpkin beer for the fall. You have the added benefit that if it isn't all consumed by Halloween you can save it for Thanksgiving and even Christmas because of the spices. Chocolate beers are also fun if you have a sweet tooth, as are coffee stouts. Chocolate beer is a bit tough if you're doing it for the first time because you don't know if it'll have too little or too much chocolate flavor. For this I'd recommend just sticking with a recipe that you find at a homebrew store or online retailer, because they tend to be conservative when it comes to adding chocolate. Then you can slowly bump it up or down to your liking. Just some things to think about.

Back