Belgian Ale Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have brewed a Strong Belgian Blonde and used Wyeast Trappist Ale. When I brewed I stirred in my candi sugar into the boil, then fermented. Used a 2L starter. Fermentation took off and lasted over 3 weeks. I transferred to secondary last night and took my first reading. I started out with 20 Brix (1.089 SG) and last night it was 9.2 Brix (1.034 SG). My FG goal was 1.014.

It seems as if it is stuck.

Would adding yeast nutrient and repitching a small amount of yeast help? Adding more sugar at this time does not seem like it would help, since the sugar is there? Or should I add a small amount of candi sugar with the yeast and nutrient?

Thanks

Well first off, if I use the refractometer adjustment sheet, I show you as having 1.009 FG, not 1.034, so I'd say you're in great shape...

Remember, the direct "brix to SG" converters only work for fresh wort, the second it starts fermenting, the alcohol throws off the calculation pretty significantly. You may want to double check FG w/ a hydrometer. I've even tried mine and gotten odd results compared to a hydromter, and somewhere else I read that the FG once you get near 80% attenuation, seems to really be off on a refractometer. I'd try going to morebeer.com and find their refractometer xls sheet and make sure you're using it.

Edit: in fact my readings on a belgian triple that had 1.091 OG, showed as 1.007 as FG via that spreadsheet, and in reality, hydrometer shows 1.014. So it's off by 0.007.

Well first off, if I use the refractometer adjustment sheet, I show you as having 1.009 FG, not 1.034, so I'd say you're in great shape...

Remember, the direct "brix to SG" converters only work for fresh wort, the second it starts fermenting, the alcohol throws off the calculation pretty significantly. You may want to double check FG w/ a hydrometer. I've even tried mine and gotten odd results compared to a hydromter, and somewhere else I read that the FG once you get near 80% attenuation, seems to really be off on a refractometer. I'd try going to morebeer.com and find their refractometer xls sheet and make sure you're using it.

Edit: in fact my readings on a belgian triple that had 1.091 OG, showed as 1.007 as FG via that spreadsheet, and in reality, hydrometer shows 1.014. So it's off by 0.007.

Dude, do you have the actual calculation somewhere? Or a link it? I can't seem to find the conversion caculation.

Its in the 'calculators' Mine are called: Refractometer, SG from Brix of wort (used at mashing/boil time, pre fermentation) OG from FG and Brix. (this is from taking the sg from a hydrometer and brix calcuation to see what the OG was), FG from OG and Brix. (this takes your inital and brix now, to give current gravity)

Its in the 'calculators' Mine are called: Refractometer, SG from Brix of wort (used at mashing/boil time, pre fermentation) OG from FG and Brix. (this is from taking the sg from a hydrometer and brix calcuation to see what the OG was), FG from OG and Brix. (this takes your inital and brix now, to give current gravity)

Oh man, that all sounds confusing... I'll see if I can try and find it on Beer Alchemy.

Back