ferm chamber temp controller ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edsrockin

Reaction score
well, it looks as if i am going to be picking up a used refrigerator. that is, if it is what the guy says it is. i shall find out tomorrow.

i have a question about the temperature regulators that you plug the refrigerator into. i understand that the regulator controls the temp. of the refrigerator, but what does it do to the freezer? does *that* still work on its own, or is it affected by the regulator? is there a way of setting it up so that only the refrigerator part is variable while the freezer maintains its regularly expected temperature?

thanks all.

Basically the controller cuts all power to the fridge, so it will effect the freezer to some extent.

kind of what i was afraid of. anyone know if it's linear? (i.e. add 10* to 'fridge part, adds 10* to the freezer)

again, thanks.

You can always use the freezer section for storing/clearing your beer. It shouldn't get down to freezing.

i think most refridgeraters cooling comes from the freezer part and a vent lets the cold air into the fridge. check yours and see if you can tell how it works. either way should be fine though. the thermostat will have a temperature probe that will tell the thermostat to cut the fridge on or off too keep the chamber the right temp. (i dont have a ferm chamber yet. but i plan on building one so i have been doing some reading)

just knock out the wall between the fridge and the freezer and use it as one big freezer

someone did a diy build on here doing that

You can always use the freezer section for storing/clearing your beer. It shouldn't get down to freezing.

The freezer section on my fermentation fridge gets down to freezing. Some do and some don't depending on how they are designed and at what temperature you run the chamber. The fridge runs more in warmer weather and that results in colder temperatures in the freezer compartment.

I'm facing the same issue. I have an apartment fridge that I plan to convert to a ferm chamber. The freezer and fridge aren't really separated by much more than a metal box and plastic "door". My question is if I set the temp at typical ale fermentation temps in the 60-70 degree range, I would assume the freezer won't be frozen at all...BUT, what about when I lager? Am I going to have a constant freeze/thaw cycle?

I'm facing the same issue. I have an apartment fridge that I plan to convert to a ferm chamber. The freezer and fridge aren't really separated by much more than a metal box and plastic "door". My question is if I set the temp at typical ale fermentation temps in the 60-70 degree range, I would assume the freezer won't be frozen at all...BUT, what about when I lager? Am I going to have a constant freeze/thaw cycle?

I have a similar small fridge (among some others). I use it for fermenting both ales and lagers and also as a lagering chamber. What I did to improve the performance was I removed the plastic "door" on the freezer part which essentially makes it one chamber. I mounted a case fan (computer muffin fan) in the freezer box which turns on with the compressor. It's a 100v AC fan and I wired it to what was formerly the circuit for the interior light bulb. The bulb circuit is controlled by a door switch which I hacked (removed from the circuit) so now the circuit is energized at the same time as the compressor. I have a Johnson analog controller operating the compressor. Works perfectly.

Latest posts

Back