So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10# of Pale Ale Malt (2 row)
.5# Cara 60
Nugget- .75@60 min., .5@10 min., and .5@ 0
1.060 SG
Not sure if it's an APA or an IPA ?

Brewed an AHS Session Series Brown Porter last night. Partial Mash
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431266006.477950.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431266180.363018.jpg

They call for a 3 gal boil but I recently started doing 5. It gets sketchy in my 32 qt kettle during the hot break but after that it's ok.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431266207.891141.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431266222.277994.jpg

Ice bath chill and pitched at 62 in about 30minView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431266326.842215.jpg

Second weekend in a row I'll be brewing. Last weekend it was a DIPA and today it's a Scottish 80 schilling... Fingers are crossed!

I decided about 90 minutes ago that I would brew today. Just doughed in for a batch of Yoopers Fizzy Yellow. This is the benefit of stocking your own bulk grain, hops and dry yeast!! w00t

After a long year+ hiatus I brewed this today. Stove top all grain.

Ace of Saisons

Batch Size: 15.00 L

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Bohemian Floor Malted Pilsner (2.0 SRM) Grain 72.5 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM) Grain 14.5 %
0.40 lb Caramunich II (46.0 SRM) Grain 5.8 %
14.00 gm Sorachi Ace [12.00%] (60 min) Hops 28.6 IBU
21.00 gm Sorachi Ace [12.00%] (1 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.40 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
0.50 lb Soft Candi Sugar Blanc (0.0 SRM) Sugar 7.2 %
1 Pkgs Saison II Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP566) [Starter 35 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.049 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.007
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 %
Bitterness: 30.4 IBU
Est Color: 6.0 SRM

Mash Profile
Saccharification Add 8.51 qt of water at 160.7 F 150.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

That is no reason not to brew. After 4 1/2 years you should have some sort of temp control..You spend more time talking about when you may possibly brew than actually brewing.First it is too cold in the winter now it is too warm.. So you don't brew in the the winter and now you don't brew in the summer... BS

If I waited until the temp was perfect I would have never hit over 200 brews. I may only have brewed a few times like you.

Oh snap!

Just wrapped up an Anchor Liberty clone, first time using whole hops. Not sure I'd use them again.

Just wrapped up an Anchor Liberty clone, first time using whole hops. Not sure I'd use them again.
Out of curiousity, why? Is it a system issue? I only ask because I use very little pellet hops due to my system that uses the whole hops as a trub filter so I cannot brew without them.

If I were to guess, you had an auto-siphon or racking cane that got clogged with them.

Out of curiousity, why? Is it a system issue? I only ask because I use very little pellet hops due to my system that uses the whole hops as a trub filter so I cannot brew without them.

If I were to guess, you had an auto-siphon or racking cane that got clogged with them.

My kettle has a ball valve with pickup tube, it clogged up within 2 minutes of starting the transfer. I skipped the siphon as I figured that would quickly clog too. I picked up and poured the contents through a stainless double mesh strainer into the carboy. If I do try whole hops again I'll probably bag them for the boil.

Use Paint strainer bags from home Depot. Helps keep all leaf hops contained for easy removal. Use some sanitized marbles to drop the bag to the bottom of the pot. Same for dry hopping.

That is no reason not to brew. After 4 1/2 years you should have some sort of temp control..You spend more time talking about when you may possibly brew than actually brewing.First it is too cold in the winter now it is too warm.. So you don't brew in the the winter and now you don't brew in the summer... BS

If I waited until the temp was perfect I would have never hit over 200 brews. I may only have brewed a few times like you.

Wow. When I first jumped in here in Fall of 2013, I had no idea about the jabs and snarky back and forth that goes on here on hombrewtalk. Somebody wrote something pretty cutting towards me and I got all offended. It was quickly pointed out to me how we roll here...especially in the "mindless ramblings" area. I climbed off my high horse and started making some friends and enjoying the site a lot more...and learning a lot.

After a year and a half, I have gone from fermenting 2 gallon batches of cider to 2-1/2 gallon batches of extract homebrew to BIAB all grain. And there's plenty yet to learn.

I'm hoping that your comments to @uniondr were meant to be all-in-fun. It came off as sounding a little holier than thou and kind of mean. We all have different personal situations, and a matter of years may not have any bearing on when we can advance to a new level. I still have no way to regulate fermentation temperature. I try some simple stuff, but really good methods are not in my budget. Also, I adopted two infants through foster care and down-sized my residence several years ago. Space is tight and our priorities are not beer. It's a hobby. I enjoy it at the level at which I can participate, and I make the best beer I can, when I can.

Okay...off my horse again and, if you were just kidding, then cheers!

My kettle has a ball valve with pickup tube, it clogged up within 2 minutes of starting the transfer. I skipped the siphon as I figured that would quickly clog too. I picked up and poured the contents through a stainless double mesh strainer into the carboy. If I do try whole hops again I'll probably bag them for the boil.

That's what I figured. I use a SS scrubber pad much like a chore-boy around the dip tube. I end up with crystal clear wort in the fermenter.

Back on topic:

I am brewing Redneck Pale Ale Sunday. I will have a cake of both US-05 and S-04 to split the wort into two 5-gallon batches. I am a huge fan of both yeasts but I have two "house" beers that could go to either yeast in theory so I am just try to see which I prefer in the "summer" basement temp of 62 f.

I brewed an American stout last night. All went very well except I added an extra 23 IBU by accident. I printed out the recipe from Brewpal but it added a 20 minute hop addition that wasn't in the software. Crazy. So 68 IBU at around 4%. Still beer so rdwhahb.

I'm debating brewing this weekend. If I do, I will have to transfer an Irish red ale from my 6.5 gal carbouy to a 5 gal better bottle. Typically I have always avoiding racking to secondary but we'll see. Since this last batch was my first in about 5 years, I'll probably just wait.

Wow. When I first jumped in here in Fall of 2013, I had no idea about the jabs and snarky back and forth that goes on here on hombrewtalk. Somebody wrote something pretty cutting towards me and I got all offended. It was quickly pointed out to me how we roll here...especially in the "mindless ramblings" area. I climbed off my high horse and started making some friends and enjoying the site a lot more...and learning a lot.

After a year and a half, I have gone from fermenting 2 gallon batches of cider to 2-1/2 gallon batches of extract homebrew to BIAB all grain. And there's plenty yet to learn.

I'm hoping that your comments to @unionrdr were meant to be all-in-fun. It came off as sounding a little holier than thou and kind of mean. We all have different personal situations, and a matter of years may not have any bearing on when we can advance to a new level. I still have no way to regulate fermentation temperature. I try some simple stuff, but really good methods are not in my budget. Also, I adopted two infants through foster care and down-sized my residence several years ago. Space is tight and our priorities are not beer. It's a hobby. I enjoy it at the level at which I can participate, and I make the best beer I can, when I can.

Okay...off my horse again and, if you were just kidding, then cheers!

I thought the same thing when I read that. If it was in jest and the OP knew it would be taken that way then it's fine. If not then it's a sh..ty way to act. It didn't sound like a friendly jab.

Oh, forgot the topic of the thread. Doing a two hearted clone this weekend. SWMBO is excited about this one. Harvested Bell's yeast from some Oberon.

I'm going to make a Belgian blonde-ish wheat beer. Pilsner, white wheat (almost 50/50 but I made a math error at the LHBS, so a little more wheat than Pilsner) and some flaked oats. I'll use Saphir hops and 1214 fermented cool. I don't know what to call it, but I bet that combo can't possibly suck.

I do brew in winter & summer. Bills just get in the way more often as not. The unusually cold winter did slow the yeast down though. I'd like to build a fermenting cabinet to fit on top of my fermenter stand & hook a small air conditioner to it through an STC 1000 or the like. Just being retired makes it tough to spend money on brewing stuff.

I do brew in winter & summer. Bills just get in the way more often as not. The unusually cold winter did slow the yeast down though. I'd like to build a fermenting cabinet to fit on top of my fermenter stand & hook a small air conditioner to it through an STC 1000 or the like. Just being retired makes it tough to spend money on brewing stuff.

Hey bud, you don't have to explain yourself to anybody... I have thousands and thousands tied up in my equipment and I still talk about brewing more than I actually do it. Life happens and somewhere in the middle we brew! CHEER!

Brewing another batch of my friend's and family's favorite, Strong Scottish Ale. It's actually a I & G clone. Ten gallons SHOULD last for a few days!

10 gallons:

26 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
7.1 oz Chocolate Malt
3.6 oz Roasted Barley
Mashed w/ 9 gal. @ 157 degrees for 75 minutes.
Carmelized 1 gal of first runnings to 1 qt.
Batch Sparged - Two 4 gal. sparges @ 168 degrees for 10 minutes each.

2.83 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 55.0 min
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining
2.0 pkg Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728)

4 oz. oak chips soaked in bourbon to secondary for 14 days.

Just mashed in on my stout at 12:35. Gotta get some Beam's Black to soak the white oak chips in though, & some ice later on. Got no freezer space atm.

Doing my first all grain on Saturday. I got my new shiny equipment and my ingredients. I'll be making BierMuncher's Creme of 3 Crops Ale. It's a nice light beer for a beginner brew. Now I just need to stop reading and start brewing.

:mug:

17023531333_184ed88649_z.jpg

17021316774_ebfd553554_z.jpg

Got the boil going on my whiskely stout stout a few minutes ago. Had to start beers & shots a bit early, my backs murdering me. My new glasses I picked up today really help though, so that's something. So far though, I smell more roasty arabica in the wort than semi-sweet chocolate, like I did when I crushed it.

My stout's sittin @ a firm 18C (64.4F) atm. Hasn't bubbled yet, but pegged the airlock centerpiece. Both fermenters full & looking at my grain stash to figure out what's next?

Brewing a BCS American Amber. 10G. This will take the #1 tap when it's done - the anchor position for the new house beer list. If I can squeeze it in, I may also get 10g of Rye PA in the fermenter. There's no IPA or APA in the house right now so that's urgent. That'll take the #3 tap.

--
Currently on tap:
1- Trashy Blonde - a Centennial Blonde Ale
2- BCS Belgian Blonde
3- BCS American Brown Ale
4- BCS American Wheat - SWMBO now calls this "my beer" because I told her I brewed it for her :)

Back