Whoa don't know how this happened.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsman

Reaction score
Belleville, just across the river from St. Louis
Had a hell of a first try at AG today. Fun but took darn near five hours. Pro-mash calculated 70% eff, and im totally astonished when I look remember some of the problems that I encountered.

1. Didn't get the right part to finish up my MLT as per the guidelines set by the thread Cheap and easy 10 gal MLT. So I got a grain bag to hold my grains in since I had no filter/ false bottom. Well without thinking I dumped in the grains added the water then realized, %^#$ I didn't put the grains in the bag....
2. Because of this lautering sucked. I ended up with about 5 or 6 stuck pipes, before I got a strainer and scooped out all of the grain...
3. I think I may have gotten some oxidation in while straining because when I pulled the strainer out the mashed grains just dropped liquid everywhere. Oh well I'll never do that again.
4. Split beer on the carpet while trying to mop up all the ****e that I dropped on the kitchen floor. Poor beer, it never had a chance to get me drunk.

After all of that I can say that It was a good learning experience, and hopefully the next brew day will go smoother. I had a good time finished off some of my extract beer, and grilled some food while the assistant brewer kept an eye on the beer! Good day after all. :mug:

Wait till your juggling two 10g AG batches baqck to back. Mashing one while the other boils... By Yourself! lol. Cross between brewer ballet, juggler and mad scientist.

Why do neighbors, firends come buy JUST as some critacl process is about to take place, distraing you while your trying not to **** up...

Deathbrewer: The Skull Splitter Clone Rocks!!!! Do you want the AG or the Extract recipe?

Banjo: I am being nice I was just gonna call him the dumb^%$ who always gets in the way, but I had a nice streak in me. It will never happen again!

seefresh said:
Ha, knew it was an efficiency thread from the title ;)

How about AG version o fthe skull splitter?

Not to hijack, but here is the one from CloneBrews.
OG: 1.085-1.088
FG: 1.018-1.022
IBU 26
SRM 22
Mash & Boil 90mins

14.5# golden promise 2-row pale malt
.5# British Wheat malt
10oz 55L British crystal malt
4oz Belgian aromatic malt
2oz roasted barley
1oz peat-smoked malt

1.5oz East Kent Goldings 90mins
1tsp Irish Moss 15mins
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Rack to secondary after 7days onto .25oz steamed oak chips

yup that's the one I used, pretty close to the commercial version. Use the oak chips sparingly. I put them in for a day and I think any longer would have been a mistake. As a matter of fact, I talked to a couple guys at the LHBS that did the same recipe and threw the chips in for three days, and they said that it mostly tasted of oak, not much else.

Back