Thermoworks pH Meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 8680 model (on sale for $29) claims only +/- 0.3 pH accuracy. If I'm spending the money on a meter, I was a lot more accuracy than that - that's just too wide a range. Read the mash as 5.3, but it's really somewhere between 5.0 and 5.6? That's just not good enough.

The 8680 model (on sale for $29) claims only +/- 0.3 pH accuracy. If I'm spending the money on a meter, I was a lot more accuracy than that - that's just too wide a range. Read the mash as 5.3, but it's really somewhere between 5.0 and 5.6? That's just not good enough.

The next step up is +/- 0.2. Still not good enough for brewing. Their most expensive one seems equally equipped and priced as many of the recommended pH meters.

I mean, Kai's recommending that even +/- 0.1 isn't good enough (although let's remember that he IS a German engineer). The most expensive of the three, would probably be OK - but once you get into spending $75, you've got a ton more options in terms of what meters are available.

:off:

Seem like a LOT of people are into pH meters these days? I remember a year or so back, it was refractometers, everyone - EVERYONE (even me) was buying them, now today it seems that everyone wants a pH meter (again, even me). I'm predicting next year will be dissolved-O2 readers!

Back