Wild yeast capture success

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it will take a year to ferment out. My guess would be 3-5 weeks for ANY strain. The year is for aging etc.. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I'm glad I found this thread.
I have a 'wild' yeast I captured last fall up here in Canada. I put my Masson jar under a plum tree as many on this thread suggest.

Long story short - it smells fantastic and tastes really nice. I've only been stepping it up ocationaly to keep it viable, then crashing again in the fridge.

I'd like to do a proper 5 gallon with it, but I've got 1 question. How long should I expect it to ferment out? I think the OP said only a few weeks for theirs. That's surprising because not knowing what exactly I have, (though it's not sour) is expect a year, as per many other threads on wild fermentation.

Only a few weeks? Can this be right?

If you do not know what you have then it is a crap shoot. If it is just yeast, then a few weeks will be fine. If you got brett, lacto, pedio etc. Then it can take a lot longer. That is why I did a quick one gallon batch to see what happened. My culture seems to be pure and the brews I have done with it have not changed with aging so I am guessing that it is just a wild yeast.

A dozen or so times using this yeast has made some really good brews.

My culture seems to be pure and the brews I have done with it have not changed with aging so I am guessing that it is just a wild yeast

The longest I've 'stepped' mine up
Was 6 months in a 1 gallon extract batch. My post said I harvested in fall, that was an error - it was spring.

After 6 or so months I did have a pellicle which made me think maybe Pedio??

I'd love to bottle sooner than 6+ months but I'd also like to avoid gushers/ bottle bombs. Obviously without knowing what I have you cant really 'prescribe' a course of action? I get that- but how did YOU know when you bottled that it wasn't going to change much? Or do you just sort of gamble on it?

Back