The ONE difference between men and women

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To me, a freebie should be just about physical attraction. Anything more and you're looking for a replacement not a quickie. I'm surprised more guys aren't offended when their girl picks a guy who is well off, has a great career, etc. Guess it's because we tend to think a freebie is only a freebie and not a "I'd leave you in a heartbeat"

Erroneous said:
To me, a freebie should be just about physical attraction. Anything more and you're looking for a replacement not a quickie. I'm surprised more guys aren't offended when their girl picks a guy who is well off, has a great career, etc. Guess it's because we tend to think a freebie is only a freebie and not a "I'd leave you in a heartbeat"

QFT. This right here.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Studies have shown that women look for a LOT of different things in a man. Men mostly go for "is she hot?" For instance, women will rate a man's physical attractiveness very differently if they know his career, income level, etc. For guys, it generally doesn't matter much. Think about it: Women will tell you that men can be "hot" in 3-piece suits, carrharts, tee shirts, khakis, uniforms, etc. Women are hot in short skirts, bikinis, and less. See the difference there? One is about social status, value as a protector/provider/etc... and the other is about skin. That's just how it is.

That IS a fundamental difference between men and women.

IMHO, there's one reason to be faithful: kids. Otherwise, hey, maybe there's someone better. Maybe it'll take you 10 years to find her. Maybe the person you're with right now is a great person and will always be a great person. But if there's somebody better, there's nothing shameful about wanting to find that person. The notion that you will meet the one person who is right for you is just a crock. LOTS of people are REALLY cool. I mean, do people really think that if they hadn't met their current spouse that their life would have been completely empty and lonely? Bah! Of course not! You would have just found somebody else. There's thousands of people you'd probably be interested in, if the situation were right. So get the idea of someone being perfect for you completely out of your head.

The important thing is honesty and integrity and character. Be upfront about it and there isn't really much of a problem. Love is such bull****. We make people feel like they need to stay in relationships they don't want to be in, do more than they want to do, change who they are to appease another person. Then we wonder why half of marriages wind up in divorce. F that. Just be happy with yourself, treat your partners with respect, and stand up for yourself and others as human beings, whatever your or their interests or desires may be. A man, or a woman, is not something to be captured and tamed and tricked into a relationship.

In my life, I've dated about 10 girls who I knew I could be totally happy having a committed relationship with. They were all great girls. And I can count my bad relationships on one hand... I'm generally pretty good at pushing away the wrong ones for me. But ultimately, I'm better for having all the time in the world to find the people that mean the most to me. All the pressures of "settling down" or whatever is for chumps and people who want the suburban dream.

One of my current GF's has a kid. And that kid is awesome. We've talked about it. I've got no interest in playing baby's daddy. But I've got no issue whatsoever being a male role model and enjoying watching him grow up to be a man. This summer, I helped teach him to swim and, I just have to say, that was AWESOME! Other women I'm with just have to accept the fact that I think the kid is pretty cool and I enjoy seeing him grow up. If they can't handle that, then they just don't have any respect for being a decent human being. If their need to have me is greater than their appreciation for what it means to have relationships with people, then they just aren't right for me.

I grew up with lots of positive male role models. My dad is one of the best people on the planet, as far as I'm concerned (and is still married to my mother), but I remember lots of other grown up guys that were really cool and taught me a lot as well. You don't need to be called "Dad" to be a great guy and to have a huge positive impact on a child's life. And you don't need a woman to make your life complete.

As for freebies... they're all freebies to me. Just don't make stupid choices. :ban:

Just my two cents.

You really soared through the ********* stratosphere on that one..

1. Tila Tequila
2. Salma Hayek
3. Vanessa Minillo
4. Princess Ameerah Al Taweel of Saudi Arabia (trust me)

Freebies are all about looks, and I looks a lot.

bottlebomber said:
You really soared through the ********* stratosphere on that one..

To each their own. I spent about 10 years in monogamous relationships and never once had the urge to cheat.

However, I can say I am much happier now. And can be much more honest than I ever was in a relationship.

Just because you don't want to get married and have 2.3 kids doesn't mean you deserve to be lonely... Or be stuck with one miserable person.

Erroneous said:

That is true for men because that is how men think. It is different for women.

Sir Humpsalot said:
To each their own. I spent about 10 years in monogamous relationships and never once had the urge to cheat.
How many lol.. :drunk: I mean seriously, what's the longest you've spent in one relationship that would make you feel like you're qualified to dispense relationship advice to people who are in marriages? There's way more happiness to be found in sticking with one person.

Maybe the person you're with right now is a great person and will always be a great person. But if there's somebody better, there's nothing shameful about wanting to find that person.
Sure that all the women you dick over and dump for the next best thing totally understand that. It's kind of like buying a car for you.

No shame in that. :rolleyes:

My longest relationship was 4 years. I have been in 5 monogamous relationships that lasted over 1 year. And sex was never the reason I or the other person ever ended the relationship. Sex is actually pretty easy to get right. If you are losing on that front, buy a book or something.

But yeah, it used to really hurt them and me when the time came for me to tell them that it wasn't working out. But since I gave up on dating, I havent had to break up with a single girl. Some stick around, some leave, and there aren't the hard feelings anymore because you know what you are getting into from the start.

And hey... My only marriage advice is do it for the children or don't do ot at all. And don't take freebies. Just love the one you are with or gtfo.

And hey... My only marriage advice is do it for the children or don't do ot at all.
You really don't have any idea what a relationship is, do you? It'll be 40 year in a few months. Kids have been out of the house for some time now. Guess the wife and I should bail on the marriage now? With or without kids, we would have shared great times together and had a lifetime of memories to look back on. Was there someone better out there for each of us? It doesn’t really matter.

And yeah, it used to really hurt them when the time came for me to tell them that it wasn't working out. But since I gave up on dating, I havent had to break up with a single girl. Some stick around, some leave, and there aren't the hard feelings anymore because you know what you are getting into from the start.
And this gets us right back to the OT, the difference between men and women. A woman is a lot more likely to hold out hope that a relationship will grow and be hurt when it ends, even if one is not there up front. Men can move on a lot easier. Thing is, we've evolved and should know better.

You know what's really HAWT?

When you and your girlfriend/spouse have the same one. ;)

I had an ex girlfriend who had the same hots as I did for Nigella Lawson. Those were the days.

Nigella? WELL PLAYED!

I knew I respected you.

My longest relationship was 4 years. I have been in 5 monogamous relationships that lasted over 1 year.

I've been in two long-term relationships. The first was 18 years, and the second was/is 12+. Being in 5 relationships that lasted a year isn't really "monogamous", except maybe unless you call it "serial monogamy".

Relationships are NOT about children, although many people have them. It's about having a life partner.

In a one-year relationship, it's not even close to a life-term partnership. That's great if you're happy like that, but it's NOT a "long term relationship" at all. That's a short term relationship, monogamous or not.

Anyway, my whole "freebie" thing got totally derailed.

I have to play my newest Pearl Jam CD to recover from it. :mug:

SWMBO and I modified the freebe rules a bit. I have a list of women who I am allowed to call her in the middle of the night and say "can I please can please can I PLEEEAAASE?!!!" without repercussion... and she has Vigo Mortensen. Oh, and the new (British) Sherlock Holmes guy. Anyway...

Ultimately Sir H is right in a way. Sex is way easier to get than it should be, really. In college I used the pickup line "hey, I have a dorm room close to here, do you want to go there with me" successfully. :rolleyes: but finding that one person who will put up with your (my) nonsense day after day is difficult.

But to return to the topic at hand, to make the freebe thing actually work out without jealousy and repercussion... it would have to be a night with me, my wife, Bjork, Vigo, Natalie Portman, and the Sherlock guy. I dont think either of us could make that work, honestly. I think I'll stick with my wife. :mug:

I've been in two long-term relationships. The first was 18 years, and the second was/is 12+. Being in 5 relationships that lasted a year isn't really "monogamous", except maybe unless you call it "serial monogamy".

Relationships are NOT about children, although many people have them. It's about having a life partner.

In a one-year relationship, it's not even close to a life-term partnership. That's great if you're happy like that, but it's NOT a "long term relationship" at all. That's a short term relationship, monogamous or not.

Anyway, my whole "freebie" thing got totally derailed.

I have to play my newest Pearl Jam CD to recover from it. :mug:

I told my wife long before we started dating, "a year is easy. If I absolutely had to... I mean HAD to, I could date a dude for a year."

At this particular moment, mine'd be Zooey Deschanel.

Except she might not be allowed to talk. I mean, I'll give her a chance to prove she can talk like a normal person, but if she fails I'll have to shut her mouth. I think I might have an idea of what I can use to fill that particular hole...

You know how you and your partner have the "FREEBIE?" The one if you met in person, you could have relations with, and no problem?
I'd take your dominatrix avatar as my freebie. :D
(The one you're using now kind of homophobes me out. :cross:)

But that's a "safe" choice like Bob's McDonalds girl.

Not really because now if my wife sees this she'll think I want her to be the dominatrix.

You really can't win at this game!

Edit to say:
WhooHooo. She’s back! Let the fantasies begin.
(Would a dancing banana smiley be too much?)

According to Robert Winston ( The human body ) it is not in our makeup to stay in a monogamous relationship for more than 4 years, the same as a fox. As for fantasies about who you would like to be with I saw the movie "The Acid House" where the husband eventually told his wife he had been having an affair with Dolly Parton and I definitely wouldn't like what he got for his fantasy admission!
(I have to wear a tee shirt to bed which say's "NO I'm not David Beckham")

Sir Humpsalot said:
Studies have shown that women look for a LOT of different things in a man. Men mostly go for "is she hot?" For instance, women will rate a man's physical attractiveness very differently if they know his career, income level, etc. For guys, it generally doesn't matter much. Think about it: Women will tell you that men can be "hot" in 3-piece suits, carrharts, tee shirts, khakis, uniforms, etc. Women are hot in short skirts, bikinis, and less. See the difference there? One is about social status, value as a protector/provider/etc... and the other is about skin. That's just how it is.

That IS a fundamental difference between men and women.

IMHO, there's one reason to be faithful: kids. Otherwise, hey, maybe there's someone better. Maybe it'll take you 10 years to find her. Maybe the person you're with right now is a great person and will always be a great person. But if there's somebody better, there's nothing shameful about wanting to find that person. The notion that you will meet the one person who is right for you is just a crock. LOTS of people are REALLY cool. I mean, do people really think that if they hadn't met their current spouse that their life would have been completely empty and lonely? Bah! Of course not! You would have just found somebody else. There's thousands of people you'd probably be interested in, if the situation were right. So get the idea of someone being perfect for you completely out of your head.

The important thing is honesty and integrity and character. Be upfront about it and there isn't really much of a problem. Love is such bull****. We make people feel like they need to stay in relationships they don't want to be in, do more than they want to do, change who they are to appease another person. Then we wonder why half of marriages wind up in divorce. F that. Just be happy with yourself, treat your partners with respect, and stand up for yourself and others as human beings, whatever your or their interests or desires may be. A man, or a woman, is not something to be captured and tamed and tricked into a relationship.

In my life, I've dated about 10 girls who I knew I could be totally happy having a committed relationship with. They were all great girls. And I can count my bad relationships on one hand... I'm generally pretty good at pushing away the wrong ones for me. But ultimately, I'm better for having all the time in the world to find the people that mean the most to me. All the pressures of "settling down" or whatever is for chumps and people who want the suburban dream.

One of my current GF's has a kid. And that kid is awesome. We've talked about it. I've got no interest in playing baby's daddy. But I've got no issue whatsoever being a male role model and enjoying watching him grow up to be a man. This summer, I helped teach him to swim and, I just have to say, that was AWESOME! Other women I'm with just have to accept the fact that I think the kid is pretty cool and I enjoy seeing him grow up. If they can't handle that, then they just don't have any respect for being a decent human being. If their need to have me is greater than their appreciation for what it means to have relationships with people, then they just aren't right for me.

I grew up with lots of positive male role models. My dad is one of the best people on the planet, as far as I'm concerned (and is still married to my mother), but I remember lots of other grown up guys that were really cool and taught me a lot as well. You don't need to be called "Dad" to be a great guy and to have a huge positive impact on a child's life. And you don't need a woman to make your life complete.

As for freebies... they're all freebies to me. Just don't make stupid choices. :ban:

Just my two cents.

You feel better getting that off your chest?

Ahh, my wife and I discussed this ince, and I was surprised, her answers were much more based on looks than I thought they would be, not sure how to think of that since I'm a lot more Homer simpson than Vin Diesel. What's funny is her asnwer to my top three (Jessica Biel , Emma Watson, and Jessica Alba) was " Yeah if I was a guy, I'd do them too" Ahh the funny things that are said in my house.

Single, so anything is "technically" a freebie, but if/when the time comes that my relationship status changes, my answer won't:

Amy Adams
Emily Deschanel
Zooey Deschanel
(both? God what a way to go....)
Jennifer Morrison (Dr. Cameron from House)

(Who am I kidding... Wouldn't kick Reese Witherspoon out of bed either)

Zooey Deschanel has come up a few times. Think her show is funny as hell and always DVR it, but is she really that attractive? Can anyone really say she is better looking than Mila Kunis? And if it is about personality and brunette then Erin Burnette from CNN would be a good substitute.

Zooey Deschanel has come up a few times. Think her show is funny as hell and always DVR it, but is she really that attractive? Can anyone really say she is better looking than Mila Kunis? And if it is about personality and brunette then Erin Burnette from CNN would be a good substitute.

Defintely hotter than Mila and at least for me nothing to do with personality.

My wife pointed out a while back that we haven't taken the time to hang many pictures of "us together" around the house. So the other day, while she was away, I loaded a new digital picture frame with an assortment of snap shots the two of us had taken, threw in a few shots of the dogs, and (just for good measure) added a few shots of each others dream team. Dirks Bentley, Jason Statham, and Brad Paisley for her and Brooke Burke, and Giada De Laurentiis for me. She melted when she first saw the picture frame scrolling through shots of the two of us - then nearly pee'd herself when Jason Statham flashed up on the screen.

She has a good sense of humor. :p

And based on this, I would have to go back to:

Pretty sure I could hang my hat on the main difference between men and women.

Mayhaps we have plenty in common. 'cept for the kind of rack we're talkin'.

I'd do Zooey before Mila. But I'd try to keep it a secret from Mila just in case.

Good plan. Though I'd probably pick Mila over Zooey. Zooey has a certain appeal, but sometimes I just can't get into her. Uh, in a manner of speaking.

Zooey is the kind of chick I could hang with. Mila comes across as a high maintenance all in yer buisiness kind girl.

Eddie Vedder........definitely Eddie Vedder......I mean, even though I am a straight guy, Eddie is so morally......um.....whatever yooper said.;)

Angelina Jolie.
Over

Done.

Seen Salt? She completely changes her hair 7 or 8 times to hide, and each time, even with the "man" haircut (she looks a little like Eddie when she goes man...;)) she still qualifies as the hottest being on the planet. And while I believe that she is morrally tuned in and enviromentally indignant, all hot qualities on the hottest being on the planet, I am not really going to be thinking about that f I meet her and engage in sexual activity.

I guess that is the "diff" Yoop was getting at.

Moral fortitude turns her on.....that and Eddie Vedder.

Eddie Vedder........definitely Eddie Vedder......I mean, even though I am a straight guy, Eddie is so morally......um.....whatever yooper said.;)

Angelina Jolie.
Over

Done.

Seen Salt? She completely changes her hair 7 or 8 times to hide, and each time, even with the "man" haircut (she looks a little like Eddie when she goes man...;)) she still qualifies as the hottest being on the planet.

What cheezy said.

Hot chicks that smoke are out for me. I couldn't handle it. Tattoos too. I could probably put up with a small tattoo in an inconspicuous place. Maybe. I just prefer a person's original skin.

Of course if the tattoo wasn't too large they could cover it with some clothing. Doing the dirty partial clothed is pretty hot.

Toss up between Milla Jovovich and Charlize Theron. She said I could only have 1 freebie, but she doesn't have to know about the other.

The freebie concept has never come up and I've never even heard of it until this thread.

Typically the man is allowed a freebie and the wife needs to cook for her and wash the sheets afterwards.

Just kidding.

Whattawort said:
Toss up between Milla Jovovich and Charlize Theron. She said I could only have 1 freebie, but she doesn't have to know about the other.

purple something google it and Mila Jovovich has the hottest picture I've ever freaking seen.

Latest posts

Back