Secondary Fermentation aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven4est

Reaction score
I racked a stout from a carboy to a bucket and want to age it for some time. I just siphoned the beer fro mthe carboy to the bucket, but does could this contaminate the beer and make it taste bad???

Also how long can i age the beer in the bucket?

I want to add whiskey wood chips to the stout afeter a month then age it some more\, but im not sure if exposing the beer to this much oxygen would be good. ANy suggestions are appreciated thanks

as long as you sanitized the bucket there is next to no risk of contamination.

i would age in a glass carboy. fermenting in a plastic bucket is ok because the beer isn't going to be in there very long and its pumping out CO2. aging in a bucket not so much. there is no CO2 production to force out the oxygen and with the long time period needed there is plenty of time for oxygen to penetrate the bucket and oxidize your beer. i wouldn't leave it in there very long.

if your worried about oxygen exposure when adding the wood you can get a block of dry ice. typically a Ralph's has a supply if not you can do a search on the internet and find a local supplier. get about a 1lb. block and break it up. put several large chunks in some warm water and pour the fog and only the fog into the carboy. keep this up till the racking is done and you have sealed the carboy. you may need to add more warm water to keep the fog going. it is most important to have lots of fog going just before you seal the carboy

Back