starter - forgot to sterilize flask!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
ok so i made a starter tonight. got everything ready, washed the flask real well, rinsed it out, made the starter, sterilized the funnel, then poured the wort in to my UNsterlizied flask. i am also out of DME and plan on brewing a saison tomorrow with an OG of 1.080. so my options are:

1. pitch the yeast in the starter and cross my fingers

2. wait and pitch the vial without making a starter

what do you guys think i should do? i did just make an IPA that is cooling as we speak. should i use that wort for a starter instead?

It sounds like your process is sound, you just had a bit of a brain fart.
If you have a stirplate, the yeast get started so fast I think they would out compete any bugs that might be in the starter.

If you have a pyrex flask, I just boil the starter wort right in it, then put the foil on top when I take it off the burner. That way everything is sterile without having to use sanatizer!

If you have a pyrex flask, I just boil the starter wort right in it, then put the foil on top when I take it off the burner. That way everything is sterile without having to use sanatizer!

ditto and leave the foil on for the boil so the steam sanitizes the foil. Those flasks can go from boiling on the stove straight to cooling in an ice bath.

I always leave uncovered when boiling for the same reasons you don't cover up a boil/while chilling when brewing. (DMS) I guess if you decant perfectly, it wouldn't matter but it seems like too trivial of a thing to "risk." Just wrap some foil on the top when you cut the flame off, it'll still steam up enough inside while you're cooling to kill any nasties.

Before anyone jumps on me, I acknowledge the chances of a noticable amount of DMS coming through in the finished product after decanting because of whether or not you put foil on the flask when boiling is unlikely, but peace of mind is priceless.

I didn't want to get a flask for awhile because of the cost vs a growler, and I don't have a gas stove. Then I remembered the side burner on the grill...Now that I mix, boil, cool, culture (Stir plate) and pitch all without transferring vessels, I'm as happy as could be with the process.

Just put the foil on

There is very limited (virtually none) DMS in malt extract.

If your using grain to make your starter wort, the short 10 min boil typically done for starters would not be long enough to drive off the DMS.

Lastly, as you have already stated you decant the liquid from the starter prior to pitching the yeast cake. Any DMS would be in that liquid.

I have a glass top electric stove and use a flask on it all the time. I've been doing that for years with no problems. Perhaps with a stove with the bare metal element you may have an issue. Some folks place a piece of metal wire on the coil and this is enough to diffuse the heat from damaging the flask. You could make something like this from a coat hanger.

I always leave uncovered when boiling for the same reasons you don't cover up a boil/while chilling when brewing. (DMS) I guess if you decant perfectly, it wouldn't matter but it seems like too trivial of a thing to "risk." Just wrap some foil on the top when you cut the flame off, it'll still steam up enough inside while you're cooling to kill any nasties.

Before anyone jumps on me, I acknowledge the chances of a noticable amount of DMS coming through in the finished product after decanting because of whether or not you put foil on the flask when boiling is unlikely, but peace of mind is priceless.

I didn't want to get a flask for awhile because of the cost vs a growler, and I don't have a gas stove. Then I remembered the side burner on the grill...Now that I mix, boil, cool, culture (Stir plate) and pitch all without transferring vessels, I'm as happy as could be with the process.

I don't find your DMS fears unreasonable at all. Plus the one time I did put foild on while boiling it resulted and a volcanic boilover due to the shape of the flask (wort dripped behind counters and into basement...NOT a desireable outcome).

I put the foil on the flask after it stop boiling (due to its shape it continues to boil without heat). I leave it out of the fridge for a few minutes so the steam sterilizes it, then it goes into the fridge to cool!

my first starter i boiled in the flask itself and made a huge mess. its a 2 liter flask. i think if i boiled in the flask i would need a 4 liter to avoid the volcano. starter looks and smells good, making my pumpkin saison as we speak

add some fermcap foam control to the starter before it starts boiling and you will no longer have the volcano effect.

Do you guys add DME prior to putting on the stove? I have always done my starter in a pot and moved to gallon jugs. I just picked up a 5L erlenmeyer for lager starters and wondering what the best method is for glass stove heating in one shot. DME is instant caramel over steam so guessing you add prior to boiling as that narrow opening seems would be a mess. Any problems with it sticking to the bottom and caramelizing?

Do you guys add DME prior to putting on the stove? I have always done my starter in a pot and moved to gallon jugs. I just picked up a 5L erlenmeyer for lager starters and wondering what the best method is for glass stove heating in one shot. DME is instant caramel over steam so guessing you add prior to boiling as that narrow opening seems would be a mess. Any problems with it sticking to the bottom and caramelizing?

I do the DME by weight so I put the empty flask on a scale and add the DME until I have the right amount inside the flask. Then I add hot tap water and swirl it all up until the DME is fully dissolved in the water. Then I put it on the stove and bring it to a boil. Boil for 10 mins then move it to an ice bath to chill. Chill to 80F +/- then pitch the yeast.

I highly recommend fermcap foam control to reduce boil overs. If your using a stir plate you can boil the stir bar along with the starter wort to sanitize it.

Latest posts

Back