Octoberfest Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
I kegged an Octoberfest last week and put it up against a Samuel Adams Octoberfest.

IMO mine tasted almost identical (IMO a little better). As a noob I have a few questions. First I used white labs European ale yeast as opposed to whitelabs octoberfest lager.

What would the taste difference be in the 2 yeasts (as far as taste goes)? My LHBS owner told me it would be less fruity with a more "clean" finish.

I plan on making another batch (Octoberfest extract kit) but with whitelabs German Klosch yeast. Any ideas how this will change the flavor?

I don't have the extact recipe but it is a morebeer kit. I can post the recipe when I get home.

I just made an Oktoberfest that I pitched onto a Kolish yeast cake. It tastes great. If you look up Edwort on here you will see the Kolish and Oktoberfest recipes that I used.

I would say that the Kolish yeast will make it taste like you lagered it. Mine is very crisp and clean.

I just made an Oktoberfest that I pitched onto a Kolish yeast cake. It tastes great. If you look up Edwort on here you will see the Kolish and Oktoberfest recipes that I used.

I would say that the Kolish yeast will make it taste like you lagered it. Mine is very crisp and clean.

was it all grain?

yes it was all-grain. I have made the Brewers Best Oktoberfest kit twice and that is a good kit to make.

Back