Brewpubs in Birmingham/Mobile, AL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
I'll be on vacation next week with SWMBO's family and will be visiting Mobile while on the gulf coast...then coming back home through Birmingham. We'll be looking for a brewpub/microbrewery to visit if possible. Any suggestions?

Doesn't look like there's too much in the way of working brewpubs in Birmingham...can't mess with $2 pints though!

BrewDey said:
Doesn't look like there's too much in the way of working brewpubs in Birmingham...can't mess with $2 pints though!
You won't find many either. There are ridiculous rules in place before a brewpub is allowed in this state. I'm not sure, but I believe there are less than a half dozen in the whole state.
"Brewpubs in Alabama must meet the stringent requirements of being located in a historical building. They must also be located in a county in which beer was brewed for public consumption prior to the ratification of the Eighteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution in 1919."
From www.freethehops.org.

However, that said, although I've never been, I understand the JClyde in Birmingham is a good place to stop in. Presumably they've got 77 different beers on tap, and another hundred or more in bottles :D.

That's crazy-I had no idea they were so stringent. I'll appreciate it more whenever I pick up a Chimay on the way home!

Back