Fusels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewslut

Reaction score
I brewed a batch a couple of weeks ago,my wife was having company over so My setup was not in the normal spot(had a makeshift setup for sure...My mash temps were really low 148- ish I expected a 1.080 og it was looking like i didnt get good extraction and was headed for a 1060 og so i decided to throw 2 lbs of turbinado sugar in the boil to up the gravity.The beer has now fermented and tastes hot. should i have added the sugar in the primary instead? would that have cut down on the alcohol hotness? the other possibility i had thought was maybe the ferm temp may have raised a little too high? but i am pretty confident the ferm temp didnt exceed 68-69 yeast was safale 05..Any thoughts? this was dissapointing, this is the first beer Ive been dissapointed with in a while,but I think ritual is important and i should have waited to brew until my setup was just what i was used to.

I'm not an expert in high OG beers, but I make some wine. I wonder if the "hotness" is just a function of the relatively high ABV and will fade like it does with wine. With a fermentation temp in the 60s, you should NOT have a problem with fusels.

What was the FG? Maybe you just have a really high ABV going on there.

My 1.070 stout had a hot alcohol taste to it early on. That faded after a couple more weeks in the bottle. I think it's to be expected in a big beer.

How much yeast did you pitch? A high gravity beer, particularly if it has a lot of simple sugar in it, really needs a good pitch of yeast. And did you oxygenate?

Fusels can occur anytime you stress the yeast -- too few of them to get the job done, too hot a temperature, not enough oxygen, not enough nutrients, etc.

The good news is that yes, they TEND to clean up after themselves if given enough time. But if you have a lot of fusels in the beer, no amount of aging will remove them all. Hopefully yours isn't like that and it will clean up on its own as it conditions and ages.

:mug:

FG was 1.010 down from 1.073 I pitched 1 dry pack of safale 05,per carboy, and did my normal oxygen shake the f**k out of the carboys.Ah well I will let it age for a few months,Its not overwhelmingly hot so maybe it will mellow out...if not headache beer for all my buddies who like BMC hehehe JK

Back