Looking for GF Brew Testers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muench1

Reaction score
So at this point I am 97% sure I'll be going live with my business concept selling gluten free brewing ingredients. I'm still working on setting up my production equipment; it's a serious pain in the neck to design and fabricate malting equipment with limited resources, but I think I've got it mostly figured out. It's all designed for precise process control and repeatability, and I'm setting out to produce a consistent, quality product that nobody else currently makes. Since I'm now biting the bullet and paying equipment costs, I figure I should recruit some people to help test my product once I get it rolled out. Extract production is way out of my league (technically and financially), so my ingredient production will be limited to GF malt.

I'll be looking for people to help test base, crystal and roasted malts as I get them produced. I'd be most interested in finding gluten-free brewers with decent process control that do mini-mash and all-grain brewing, and would be willing to give me plenty of feedback. Big plus if you can share your beer back to me or others for more feedback. I do not currently have a time table for test production, but I hope to be rolling sooner than later.

I have no specifics for how a testing agreement might be structured right now, and would be open to whatever ideas. I would hope that testers would be willing to pay for shipping at a minimum (or in igliashon's case, he can come to my house, pick it up in person and drink my beer).

Disclaimer: This is all still experimental. All equipment is dedicated solely to gluten-free production, but the experimental nature of the product will probably not always result in awesome beer.

Thoughts? Questions? Interest?

That sounds awesome!!! Sign me up! I'm still pretty new to GF brewing, but I would love to help test your ingredients, including doing side-by-side tests with equivalent non-GF recipes (see my "GF Mounds Bar Mild" thread). I'm really not thrilled with the sorghum syrups out there, and Colorado Malting is about the only source for malted GF grains, but they admit they don't have time to actually do much brewing with them. Having base malts, crystal, and roasted grains, along with recipes and processes would be fantastic. My experience so far tells me that GF brewing can result in very good beers with the right ingredients and processes.

Count me in, mate. Let me know when you've got some product ready to go and I'll bust down to pick it up. I'll probably want to get a proper mash/lauter tun to do some all-grain trials, I've been doing BIAB for a while using added enzymes and haven't been thrilled at the results (been losing up to half the batch to trub loss due to lack of a proper filter-bed of grains). I've been experimenting with some Colorado Malting Co. buckwheat but don't have any results to share yet.

Depending on what shipping runs, I'd be down to test a sixer every now and again. :mug:

Whoops! Just read that you're looking for experienced GF brewers for the job. Nevermind then. :)

My nephew just got diagnosed with Celiacs disease. I'm seeing sorghum products and such in my future. So I'm interested.

This sounds great I would love to help out. I just ordered a handfull of different grains from Colorado Malting that I'm going to start doing tests on so this would be perfect! let me know what I can do

Awesome to hear that people are into this. Slaving away on the equipment setup still, but I can almost make out some light at the end of the tunnel. Almost!

I would totally love to do this. I currently use CMCs stuff but I don't think they have the process 100% down. Granted I live in PA but I would definitely pay for quality grain. What kind of grains do you plan on malting?

If you could do sorghum and specialty grains that would be awesome!:rockin:

I'd be in too. My wife can only drink GF and I don't think she really likes my first attempt. I am going all grain next week so I will the the ability and desire to help out.
Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I'm in too if you want, I'd love to help! I have 5 all-grain batches under my belt, and a fair amount of extract before that. My girlfriend just got diagnosed with Celiac's so I'm planning to always have a gluten-free beer on one of my kegerator taps for her. I've never done a GF brew but will try my first soon!

For what it's worth, I'm particularly interested in doing porters/stouts for her. I'm not sure how roasting GF grains works but maybe the flavor characteristics will be similar?

I'm gluten free and malt my own buckwheat and use other grains as I can find them. Even sweet potatoes. I've been brewing about a year now and have a dozen success so far and one failure. I'd really like to help and would gladly ship you a sample

Rick

Back