Clear Wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
Made my 1st wheat beer and did not use the moss.

Well after a month felt it was time, poured a glass and it clear not cloudy... used the weisenpht yeast as well so why is my wheat beer clear?

Don't know but I am currently drinking a Hoegarden clone that I put in bottle on 10/28 and it is crystal clear. Also, I did it with a bunch of LME so it is much darker - pretty much red or amber - than a wit should be. Looks lovely, tastes absolutely delicious, but does not look like any Hoegarden I ever had.

If you want to reintroduce some cloudiness roll the bottle a bit immediately before serving. Or follow Hoegardens instructions: pour half the beer, gently swirl the rest of the beer in the bottle to loosen the sediment, and then pour the entire contents into the glass.

How do you pour it? Even with a wheat yeast, it may have settled some, especially if it's very cold. When you pour, pour off about 3/4 of the bottle then swirl the remaining contents and pour. You should have a nice cloudy beer.

I think that it could also depend on your recipe. There could be a difference between using malted and unmalted wheat.

Mine clears too, but then again I use a secondary. I do add some yeast back into the keg/bottling bucket so the brew gets cloudy again...just not so much.

That's the reason why you rouse it off the bottom of the bottle after pouring. :D

I've never kegged a hefe and I've wondered about this myself since my bottled hefes clear out as well. Easy fix w/ bottles. Maybe w/ the keg you have to convince yourself you have a Krystal weisse although I am not sure of the flavor profile of those beers as I've never had one.

Regards,
Al

Back