Using Buscuit Malt...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostDakota

Reaction score
And I am doing an extract recipe converted from an AG. I've read up on Buscuit Malt and know that it has no enzymes to convert the starch into sugar. It was recomended that it be mashed with grains that have excess diastatic power, but I am not mashing. The other two specialty/flakes I am using are Honey Malt and Oat flakes. I don't believe either have the neccesary goods to help the Buscuit out, and since my base malt will be LME, I don't know what to do. Should I use Amylase Extract? Has anyone had issues with this before? Any help is always appreciated.
-Drew

You can still get the flavour and colour out of the biscuit malt, it just won't give you any fermentables. Getting a little bit of 2-row and doing a partial mash is your option if you want to actually convert some of the starches.

Just steep all of your specialties at about 150 for 20 minutes or so if you are having LME be the bulk of your fermentables. For specialty malts and having LME/DME as a base, all you are after is color and the taste the specialty malt(s) bring, not fermentables from them.

If you have access to amylase, then I'd add a bit to a 150F steep. Otherwise, just steep the specialty grains for the flavors and unfermentable starches.

One more and then I'm done. Does amylase extract break down in the boil. I have just read that it can make the beer very dry by converting almost ALL of the sugars into fermentables. I still want to end up with some sweetness. Thanks
-Drew

If you use it pre-boil it will denature around 165F I believe (the number is probably wrong but it's in that range). The problem people run into is when they use it to restart a stuck fermentation.

Back