Who's brewing today?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to Mash in. A beautiful morning, MLT is preheated, mash water is just about up to temp, and the yeast starter is looking good.

It's gonna be a good day. :tank:

Not me ... I got tied up doing yard work yesterday and didn't make it to the LHBS before they closed. And they are not open today so no brewing. :( I've got a primary sitting empty. Not a good thing ....

I did the caramel cream ale last night, and woke this morning to no activity in the airlock :( . I thaught something was wrong when the smack pack didnt expand after 4 hours.

I want to, but the SWMBO kind of asked me how many batches I was going to make and quized me on how long they will last....kind of gave me "the look," married guys....you know THE LOOK. Well, I got about a case of different stuff bottled, a weizen in the keg about 1/2 empty, kegged the Pale Ale Friday and have Steam in the secondary....guess I could hold off a couple of weeks. Think I'm done with kits. Make a LHBS trip here pretty soon and stock up on DME, hops and yeast.

Finished Sparging and am 15 minutes into the boil. Nailed my pre-boil O.G at 1.043 for 7 gallons of wort, exactly the same and my first Bavarian Hefe.

So far, so good. I'm hoping to be able to replicate this on a regular basis (it's that tasty, but at 5.6% it will sneak up on you).

Brewed a Hefe last Saturday. Was going to move it to secondary today but it's still bubbling! :eek:
Any way. Today I'm brewing a cranberry wheat. Normal brew, the fun will come in about a week when it's time to chop up the 4 lbs of cranberrys and stuff them into a carboy. :D

I brewed my Christmas ale yesterday - was a great brew day! Started a little after 11, mash and sparge were uneventful, the boil smelled wonderful, and I was cleaning up by 4:00. Efficiency was about 70% - a giant leap from my last brew. I think with a little fine tuning of my sparge technique, I'll be right up in the 75%-80% range. My only concern with this batch is the fact that I probably underpitched by quite a bit. I got the yeast Friday, made a starter that afternoon, and pitched the following afternoon.

Happy brewing everyone!

I just pitched my Weihenstephan 3068 1 liter starter (Wheat DME). It was at a nice kreusen. My O.G was 1.052, same as last batch. I love it when a plan comes together.

Now for a cold Hefe and a break before kegging a batch of Apfelwein.

Yuri_Rage said:
I brewed my Christmas ale yesterday - was a great brew day! Started a little after 11, mash and sparge were uneventful, the boil smelled wonderful, and I was cleaning up by 4:00. Efficiency was about 70% - a giant leap from my last brew. I think with a little fine tuning of my sparge technique, I'll be right up in the 75%-80% range. My only concern with this batch is the fact that I probably underpitched by quite a bit. I got the yeast Friday, made a starter that afternoon, and pitched the following afternoon.

Happy brewing everyone!

I racked onto another cake yesterday and my lag time was 45 mins. I was floored. I didn't even have time to pull my aerator out of the wort before the krausen started up.

Evan! said:
I racked onto another cake yesterday and my lag time was 45 mins. I was floored. I didn't even have time to pull my aerator out of the wort before the krausen started up.
Would love to have done that, but this is my first Wit, so I don't have any yeast saved up.

We're brewing today as well. California Style IPA kit from Brewer's Best.

had our first boil over today as well, what a mess.

Boil started about 10 minutes ago.

Yuri_Rage said:
Would love to have done that, but this is my first Wit, so I don't have any yeast saved up.

Your first one? Cool! I love Wits...done 2 so far. How much did you spice it? What strain did you use?

jezter6 said:
We're brewing today as well. California Style IPA kit from Brewer's Best.

A little piece of advice for that: get an empty spray bottle and put a bunch of Star-san solution into it. Keep it nearby at all times during the boil...and when the wort starts to foam up, spray it incessantly with the bottle, and it'll keep it from boiling over.

Evan! said:
A little piece of advice for that: get an empty spray bottle and put a bunch of Star-san solution into it. Keep it nearby at all times during the boil...and when the wort starts to foam up, spray it incessantly with the bottle, and it'll keep it from boiling over.
So will reducing the flame...;)

Mike B said:
I just started the boil on a pale ale. I'm making a couple batches for gifts. I haven't brewed in about a month, so I'm pretty stoked!

Nothing beats giving homebrew as gifts. It's priceless IMHO!

Waydago!

jezter6 said:

Like some other folks said, get a 1 liter spray bottle from Lowes or HD.

See how I used it on yesterday's batch here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back