Hops In Bulk - Frozen Storage Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomcat333

Reaction score
Since the local homebrew supply shop is starting to feel the hop crunch, I was thinking about buying in bulk on the internet. I'd like to weigh them out into 1 or 2 ounce increments. Here's my question...

Would it be okay to put the 1 or 2 oz increments in small ziplock bags, fill with water and freeze? I've done meat this way to ward off freezer burn and protect against temperature fluctuations. And basically I don't want to buy a vacuum sealer.

Would freezing in a block of ice do any damage?

Any thoughts?

At first glance, the question seemed so ridiculous I didn't know how to answer it. Then I thought about it and I suppose that although weird, it makes some sense, but still don't know how to answer it. I suppose that as long as you're going to drop the ice into the boil with the hops, you shouldn't be losing anything. But then again, what if you need less than 1 or 2 oz of hops at once? Are you going to crack the block apart? No real way to measure the hops at that point...

I haven't used it enough times to make a concrete recommedation, but the new reynolds handi-vac seems like a reasonable solution to me, it vacuum seals and only costs $9 to get the starter kit.

Part of the reason hops store so well is the fact that they are dried. I do not think storing them in ice is a good idea. The (relatively) minor fluctuations of temperature in your freezer will have little effect on the hops. If you are that worried you could pack them with ice packs around them.

Yeah, I was looking at it as one would store herbs. Most herbs are stored dried because it extends their shelflife. But a lot of people chop up basil and freeze it in ice cubes until needed for use. The flavor is supposed to still be good. So... I figured I'd ask if anybody had done it with hops.

I can see where you are comming from, but would say that this isn't the best option. Just squeeze most of the air from a baggie with the hops in it. Double bag or store the hops in a plastic jar and freeze.
I use a vacuum sealer now but still have some hops stored in my freezer sans vac sealed. They will lose some AA's over time, but not enough that I can't calculate for.

Haven't tried the water trick with hops, although I've used it with fish and turkey (hint: bag the turkey in broth). I just use zip bags in the freezer and haven't had a problem. AA loss almost zero in a year.

david_42 said:
Haven't tried the water trick with hops, although I've used it with fish and turkey (hint: bag the turkey in broth). I just use zip bags in the freezer and haven't had a problem. AA loss almost zero in a year.

How do you determine AA loss? I thought you could predict AA loss.

Back