What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water. Went to make my starter and felt like crap. :( Maybe Bo Jangles was a bad idea.

I also think I work for people who just don't get it. I need another gig.
EdWort's Apfelwein. I'm thinking of making a batch...seems like no time commitment, just a fermenter commitment. So, my only real questions are:

1. Is it worth the time to make this?

2. EdWort says to make it in a 5 gallon carboy, but will headspace be bad for this? Will I be ok doing it in a 7 gallon carboy?

3. Do you guys carb this or drink it flat?
It is worth the tim. Headspace won't be bad for it. I carbonated mine, it all pretty much eventually got dumped (what I didn't drink) but I would use Notty yeast to make for a slightly sweeter product. I won't ever bottle carb something backsweatened in a glass bottle again. :)

B. Stiff & Sons Root Beer from Oskar Blues to wash down some Vienna Sausages. Lips a'smackin'!

Hi Nelson! Saison. Some funk, some earthiness from what I think are the hibiscus flowers, not sweet but refreshing. Darker than I thought and hoping the tea isn't all sitting at the bottom of the keg. Not quite carbonated throughout I don't think. I'm happy with this one I believe.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404413973.408469.jpg

I guess I had never considered the temp control to be an issue. Great points!

Edit: After thinking about this, would the oxidation really have an affect? The wort is already oxidized before pitching anyway.

I think you're confusing oxidation with aeration now.

I think you're confusing oxidation with aeration now.

I dont doubt that haha. What would be the difference in this situation though? Obviously a beer would be oxidized if you aerated it after fermentation, but since it hasnt fermented yet wouldnt it become un-oxidized during fermentation? Aeration is the process of introducing air into a substance while oxidation is once its already mixed. If the air can and does leave something thats oxidized though, wouldnt its back to normal?

BTW, im not sure to argue if it comes off that way. I'm just trying to learn :D

I dont doubt that haha. What would be the difference in this situation though? Obviously a beer would be oxidized if you aerated it after fermentation, but since it hasnt fermented yet wouldnt it become un-oxidized during fermentation?

Referring to the starter beer tho, which has fermented at this point. And the off flavors of that fermentation (whether due to high temps, continuous aeration, whatever) are already there. Then combining that with fresh wort, I think those flavors (though much diluted) would still be present.

I dunno, I've tasted the decanted starter beer before and sometimes it does not taste great. Like I said, it hasn't dissuaded me from still pitching whole starters. Sounds like a good side by side experiment. For someone else to try that is..

Referring to the starter beer tho, which has fermented at this point. And the off flavors of that fermentation (whether due to high temps, continuous aeration, whatever) are already there. Then combining that with fresh wort, I think those flavors (though much diluted) would still be present.

I dunno, I've tasted the decanted starter beer before and sometimes it does not taste great. Like I said, it hasn't dissuaded me from still pitching whole starters. Sounds like a good side by side experiment. For someone else to try that is..

Haha challenge accepted!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404422804.593781.jpg

Having sompls's HB saison. It's the cottage house recipe from this site, which I've also brewed before, so it's interesting to compare. Pretty similar if my memory serves, use 3711?

View attachment 209050

Having sompls's HB saison. It's the cottage house recipe from this site, which I've also brewed before, so it's interesting to compare. Pretty similar if my memory serves, use 3711?

I did...hope you're enjoying!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404424309.548688.jpg

Deschutes armory xpa on nitro...man oh man deschutes never disappoints!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hoptimum time. Just got some beers and the ingredients for 2 more batches of apfelwein. Think I'll keg the only batch remaining and bring some camping next week and make the other two today.

1404424742046.jpg

After waiting for my Paradisaea at Forest & Main, I had a Wojtek imperial porter - excellent in refreshing.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404425961.667622.jpg

Came home and had this good Brett bomb,
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404425973.740211.jpg

And now at out Italian joint enjoying this. Holiday weekends are great!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404426017.235426.jpg

Back