Moving to All Grain Outdoor setup options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSlash

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been reading for the past few months while doing extract in plans to move to all grain as soon as the weather breaks a tad. I had some questions I either couldn't find answers to, or not clear enough. Any help on these would be great!

I already built a 48 quart mash tun cooler, and have a good idea I'll be snagging 2 9 gallon SS posts with 2 full 1/2 inch welds. SS valve and Thermo in each and maybe a bazooka inside the BK...

Think I'm skipping Sight Glasses for now as I don't feel like cleaning them.

I'll be building a brew stand and this is where my questions are:

If I'm only doing 5gal batches, it seems like pulling the strike water from the HLT into a measurable pitcher or bucket then adding to the grain seems ideal. My thinking is get the strike water in the grain fast and stir, rather than trying to monitor the stream going into the grain bed.. and then I would not need a sight glass.

1. Is there a reason on 5 gallon batches that I "need" the HLT over the mash tun? Will I kick myself for not doing a 3 tier? -no pump plans for 5gal batches.

2. When Rice Hulls are used in the mash, do they go in first and if so do you try to not stir them up?

3. I see people using wooden mash paddles... this is OK because nothing really needs sanitizing before the boil?

4. Does anyone do stands like __---__ instead with the mash tun on the highest part? A 2 tier like -- -- __ would put a burner right by the mash tun. Thinking it would keep the 2 burners below and away from the cooler, and since I wasn't gravity feeding to the mash tun...
-BK will be high enough to gravity to fermenter...

5. Is the SQ14 plenty for 7-8 gals of water, or should I really go with the sp10 and does the paint burn off all of these $40-$50 burners?

6. My order look ok?

- 2 9gallon SS pots (bayoo generic) with 2 full 1/2" welds. Thermometers and SS valves with SS nipple and Barb, lids..

- 2 Sq14 or sp10 burners with 2 propane tanks

- Barley crusher mill with 7 pound hopper (only 5 gallon batches)

- Enough copper to plum the stand for Immersion Chiller, bottle washer spout, HLT fills and cleaning hose

- Stand will most likely be wood with some heat shielding if needed, with caster wheels. (not sure how to level though)

Ordering today if no one see's an issue...

Parts are about 450 before doing the stand.

Thanks!

All of this looks great!
2: Rice Hulls= They go in first but I would worry to much about not disturbing them too much as they act like a filtering agent regardless on where they are at in the MT...false bottoms also help.

Your solution with the strike water is what I do with no issues.

All in all order this stuff and then when all is said and done experiement with what you think is an optimal setup. I'm betting in about 6 months you will have a pump and such. Good luck and congrats.

All of this looks great!
2: Rice Hulls= They go in first but I would worry to much about not disturbing them too much as they act like a filtering agent regardless on where they are at in the MT...false bottoms also help.

Your solution with the strike water is what I do with no issues.

All in all order this stuff and then when all is said and done experiement with what you think is an optimal setup. I'm betting in about 6 months you will have a pump and such. Good luck and congrats.

My concern with the march pump option is maintaining hoses and such. Seems like it adds a lot of work making sure hoses and pump are clean...

Is it a PITA?

I suppose with this setup, no matter the tier, I could move to a pump if I desired to. So no point in going with a 3 tier at all now then. Cool.

I'll still do at least 2 tier so I can gravity from Mash tun to BK...

Thanks so far!

Not at all just run PBW or Oxiclean thru the setup followed by a hot rinse/Starsan and you should be good. Plus if you wanted to a March pump is super easy to maintain and take apart for cleaning. It is a PITA the first time then you will have a system down. A pump will open you up for so many more options I.E. RIMS/HERMS setups. HLT to MT transfers and finally plate chilling. But your setup you have on order is a perfect start or a perfect final setup.

Not at all just run PBW or Oxiclean thru the setup followed by a hot rinse/Starsan and you should be good. Plus if you wanted to a March pump is super easy to maintain and take apart for cleaning. It is a PITA the first time then you will have a system down. A pump will open you up for so many more options I.E. RIMS/HERMS setups. HLT to MT transfers and finally plate chilling. But your setup you have on order is a perfect start or a perfect final setup.

Ah thank you.

I placed an order for the pots with full welds, then ordered the SS valves from Bobby. Saw he had a vertical sight glass that you can add on with a Tee fitting so I snagged one for HLT. Hard to pass up at like 14 bucks!

Thanks Bobby!

Now as soon as I can determine the Propane burner I'll need, I can start the stand sketchups.

Wish someone would have told me long time ago that designing and building this stuff is almost more fun than brewing!

Neither nearly as fun as the final product though.

Back