Too much time in primary fermentation possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman1

Reaction score
I'm a noob and wondering if it's possible to have my beer in primary for too long? It's been 3 weeks so far. Will it be fine if I leave it there for 5 weeks total before bottling? I've been away and am leaving again in 2 days so I may not have time to bottle it for a while.

Let me know - thanks!

Sure, you'll be fine with 5 weeks. I've had mine in primary close to 2 months with no ill-effects.

I'm a noob and wondering if it's possible to have my beer in primary for too long? It's been 3 weeks so far. Will it be fine if I leave it there for 5 weeks total before bottling? I've been away and am leaving again in 2 days so I may not have time to bottle it for a while.

Let me know - thanks!

It depends a lot on the style. A light lager would suffer. On the other hand, i had a Guiness clone on primary for six months and it was delicious. IMHO, five weeks is not too long for an ale.

It'll be ok, I've gone 60 days in the primary before with no ill effects. And that was a beer with 2oz of dry hops. One of the best beers I've made so far. I wouldn't make a habit out of this kind of practice though.

Back