Will my beer be oxidized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
So today I was bottling and could not get a siphon to stay going for the life of me probably because I didn't have a long enough length of tubing. I was running out of time and poured my beer into my bottling bucket I tried to make it flow very smooth and fast and didn't go down the side. Is the beer for sure going to be oxidized? Will it not be as noticable if I drink it sooner?

Oh no, your beer is ruined! Please send me the bottled beer and I will be happy to dispose of them for you at no charge;)

Just kidding, relax, your beer should be fine! I've had a few bottling sessions go awry and not had any noticable off flavors or skunkiness in my beers!

Of course, just to be safe you could drink your beer as soon as it is carbed enough. In the meantime you should brew another batch to replace that one!!

Either way just keep on brewing and good luck!

You are just being a nervous noob. :D

I've had worse bottling issues before, once nearly using my autosiphon as a pump to move the beer.

It takes a lot more oxygen exposure of our beer to cause any damage, than what we do in the normal course of our brewing AND in most of the boneheaded mistakes we make(including using our autosiphon like a hand pump if it gets stuck...in a basic brewing podcast years ago, one of the big wigs, John Palmer, or Chris Colby (the editor of BYO) said that the amount of oxygen to actually damage our beer, is actually far in excess of what we do in the normal course of brewing and even most of our accidents. And requires about the amount of oxygen that we could pump in by emptying one of our red oxygen bottles with an airstone into our bottling bucket....not the normal amount of motion we make if we are careful brewers.

Also the effects of oxydation are long term they affect the storage of beers...Unless you pumped an oxygen bottle into your finished beer, you will have consumed your two cases of beer long before any signs of oxydation would show up.

Before you get all "first time parent" on your beer and start to panic about every little thing, read this thread and see, that despite what bonehead things that we might do, it still come out as beer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

:mug:

You are just being a nervous noob. :D

I've had worse bottling issues before, once nearly using my autosiphon as a pump to move the beer.

It takes a lot more oxygen exposure of our beer to cause any damage, than what we do in the normal course of our brewing AND in most of the boneheaded mistakes we make(including using our autosiphon like a hand pump if it gets stuck...in a basic brewing podcast years ago, one of the big wigs, John Palmer, or Chris Colby (the editor of BYO) said that the amount of oxygen to actually damage our beer, is actually far in excess of what we do in the normal course of brewing and even most of our accidents. And requires about the amount of oxygen that we could pump in by emptying one of our red oxygen bottles with an airstone into our bottling bucket....not the normal amount of motion we make if we are careful brewers.

Also the effects of oxydation are long term they affect the storage of beers...Unless you pumped an oxygen bottle into your finished beer, you will have consumed your two cases of beer long before any signs of oxydation would show up.

Before you get all "first time parent" on your beer and start to panic about every little thing, read this thread and see, that despite what bonehead things that we might do, it still come out as beer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

:mug:

I don't suppose you recall which episode?

I don't suppose you recall which episode?

No, it was years ago, and an aside comment anyway, more than likely answering an email or listener question, just like this. If you are really interested you could search for yourself....I'm sure you are good at that. ;)

Because I'm sure it has such bearings on this new brewer's worry that you just want to back up the fact that his beer ISN'T ruined, right? Because that IS what this thread is about isn't it, helping a new brewer not panic for making a little mistake, right? And I know how much you care about doing that, don't you? :mug:

No, it was years ago, and an aside comment anyway, more than likely answering an email or listener question, just like this. If you are really interested you could search for yourself....I'm sure you are good at that. ;)

Because I'm sure it has such bearings on this new brewer's worry that you just want to back up the fact that his beer ISN'T ruined, right? Because that IS what this thread is about isn't it, helping a new brewer not panic for making a little mistake, right? And I know how much you care about doing that, don't you? :mug:

I dunno, I like presenting accurate information.

I dunno, I like presenting accurate information.

No, we know the truth, don't we? You just care more about trolling folks than actually helping anyone. :mug:

But hey, as long as the OP realizes that he doesn't need to worry for pumping his beer when bottling, then that's really all that matters. And if he reads all the stories in the thread I did post, I'm sure he's going to realize that those of us who actually care about helping him and not picking fights, spent time putting in their "mistakes" in which they did worse than HE did, and their beer turned out ok....Then he's not going to worry whether it was John Palmer, or Chris Colby who said that it's really hard to ruin their beer that way.

I know helping folks on here is really the least of your cares, Remmy Baby, and that's why you're so popular and loved on here, because you devote soooo much time to making this a better place. :rolleyes:

Back