Safale US -05 vs. Pacman Activator Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudhen5

Reaction score
I have a recipe that recommends Rogue Pacman Activator Yeast from Wyeast. Would it make much of a difference if I use US-05 dry yeast? I have it on hand.

there will be differences nothing substantial they are both clean fermenting yeasts that work well in a wide variety of conditions. if you like the beer that comes from the 0-5 batch look into the technique of harvesting yeast from bottles and pick up a couple bombers of Shakespeare stout or mocha porter from Rouge. it will let you compare flavor profiles and learn something new which you will always do in this hobby.

I've used a real smack pack of pacman before. IMHO, I didn't notice anything outstanding about it in the resulting beer. I washed it and will use it again, but I personally don't see what all the hype is about.

Pacman is an awsome yeast. I pitched it without a starter and it worked great. Reused the yeast for another batch and it was even better, but S05 and S04 are both great yeasts too and you'd be just fine using them as well.

+1 US-05. You can sprinkle it right on. However, if you follow their instructions to rehydrate it, you can have fermentation rolling 6-12 hours. Pretty awesome stuff.

That being said, if I could only pick one, I think I would take nottingham. You can literally ferment this yeast 50-70 degrees depending on what you are shooting for and it is great a bringing down heavier gravity beers.

Back