What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning I took a sample from my Brewmaster Bucket, but when I rotated the racking arm, it started to leak! I turned the fitting the other way and got it to a slow drip, but I had to rush to rack my cyser into a carboy before going to work. Fortunately I was at FG.

I think the yeast tried to unscrew the nut on the inside and kill themselves.

Just got 4 pint glasses and a long handled spoon. And a ten gallon pot!!

40 quarts is just way cooler than 30...

Brewed up a batch of my bourbon barrel stout requested by my sister for after her baby is born. I guess it's a good sign when one of your brews is requested!

First I drank a bunch. Racked my house pale onto fresh Cascade. Bleached a bunch of odds and ends after a recent sour bottling fest.

Kegged a beer. I'm having no luck with this new racking cane. I'm gonna have to check my method.

Finally Cleaned the fermenter from the Mumme & the nylon bag of what looked for all the world like a cow's cud (buyeeeerp!). At least I got back my thick-walled shot glass this time. But, with some 3 gallons of water in it on my cart, wheeling back into the man cave...the wheels buried in the carpet & it launched onto the floor. Didn't have the lid screwed on, & it exploded absolutely all over everything. Finally got the mess cleaned up, but about 1/4 ream of printer paper is done, & my smoothly sanded antique gun stock is drying. Even the keyboard & mouse got wet!? Man, those Cooper's Micro Brew FV's really splatter!...:mad:

Built a keg wash station today and
worked on my water situation. I have a well and horrible water. High calcium, high iron, not to mention I live next to a soybean/corn field. My water goes through the softener then RO before it can even get close to being beer worthy. I'll store 50 or so gallons prior to a brew day. I washed and set up two 30 gal barrels under a portable RO system. Situated well next to my sink. It creates a makeshift counter top so that's a plus.

Woke up this morning to find some critter had unearthed the Newport and Chrystal hop plants I had just transplanted to the ground from pots I had them in. Spent a couple hours replanting 2 of the 3 plants and finishing the bed. Sprinkled ground cayenne pepper all over the mulch this evening... Hope all is good tomorrow morning.

Bought grain for a saison and ordered hops en bulk...

The second part of the day will be building a yeast starter for Monday's brew session.

Brewing up a batch of a Special Bitter, and just kegged a Cream Ale just in time for football season.

Only 4 days late unless you count HS football which has had 3 weeks already...

Me and my brother are brewing on Labor Day.

Cleaned some bottles I had soaking, dumped the bucket they were in & rinsed that. gotta drain & rinse my grain bag outta the fermenter I'm soaking, lightly scrub that drain into bucket & rinse all. Then use the bucket of cleaner PBW to soak some more collection labels to trade. :mug:

Brewed a batch of SMaSH using Maris Otter and Mosaic.

If it turns out well, I will dub the recipe "Yer M.O.M."

Brewed a batch of SMaSH using Maris Otter and Mosaic.

If it turns out well, I will dub the recipe "Yer M.O.M."

It's a good SMaSH. You know MOM is the short script for milk of magnesia... ;)

image.jpeg

I racked "Polish Pills" into a 3 gallon keg and the remander onto prickly pear juice. Fermentation hasn't restarted yet but I'd expect to see signs soon.

Checked my saison 12 hours after pitching and there is about an inch of krausen present! I have to remind myself not to use ice as Belle Saison yeast like it warmer than most other varieties.

Bottled a case of saison. Having out of town guests (in-laws) in a few weeks so I'm putting much of the parephenalia for this hobby out in the garage. The things we do for love... :p

Removed the dry hops from keg, lowered Temp to 38F and dropped the CO2 to 12. Should be ready to rock n roll this weekend.

Bottled 5 gallons of Irish Red today.
Oh I also got to use my new vinator for sanitizing bottles. Never had one before and now I wish I had bought it sooner.

Bottled 5 gallons of Irish Red today.
Oh I also got to use my new vinator for sanitizing bottles. Never had one before and now I wish I had bought it sooner.

Hey, that's what I'm doing also! Except I don't have a vinator. :'(

Latest posts

Back