us-05 instead of liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a CDA this weekend and was originally going to use 1056, which has been my 'go to' along with 1272 for American ales. While playing around with different yeast options in my software, I noticed the us-05 would attenuate better (75-80%, or two gravity points my recipe). Which would bring my beer right into the FG the style guidelines suggest and dry the beer out a bit more, which I want, as my last CDA was a tad too sweet.
Now I've spent the morning reading every thread on this site about 1056/us-05/wlp001 and why brewers prefer one over the other. What I gathered (ease of using dry yeast aside) is that the liquids are cleaner but not as attenuative (72-77%) as opposed to 05 (75-80%), and that the us-05 could produce excessive esters despite fermenting the beer out a few more points.
I'm looking for a fairly dry beer that is free of flavors due to fermentation by-products. I'm wondering if I can get this using us-05, or would I be better off sticking with 1056 or 1272 and adding some simple sugars (corn sugar) to my grain bill to get the dryness I'm looking for?

Try the US-05.... I've used that yeast the most of any dry or liquid (with Nottingham dry coming in at a very close second.) It's a good yeast, especially in the low-60's.

Interestingly enough, I'm making an American Amber tomorrow... I usually use US-05 but am instead trying 1272. I'm looking to experiment seeing as I haven't use liquid yeast in the last two years.

Just mash at a low temp 150-151 and ferment around 64-66 and you should get a nice dry beer with out esters.

I just made a IIPA that went from 1.087-1.014 ~80% attenuation, I mashed at 150.

Interestingly enough, I'm making an American Amber tomorrow... I usually use US-05 but am instead trying 1272. I'm looking to experiment seeing as I haven't use liquid yeast in the last two years.

I love the 1272 in American ales.... Nice, clean and really brings the hops to the front!
I always try to ferment cool, low 60s to keep esters at minimum. I read that where us-05 kicks its (in)famous apricot ester. Ever notice that when you use it?
Aside from the esters, it seems like the yeast to use here.

Just mash at a low temp 150-151 and ferment around 64-66 and you should get a nice dry beer with out esters.

I just made a IIPA that went from 1.087-1.014 ~80% attenuation, I mashed at 150.

Good point. I was considering mashing at 152, but maybe dialing it back a few degrees would be a better choice. Thanks.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
I love the 1272 in American ales.... Nice, clean and really brings the hops to the front!
I always try to ferment cool, low 60s to keep esters at minimum. I read that where us-05 kicks its (in)famous apricot ester. Ever notice that when you use it?
Aside from the esters, it seems like the yeast to use here.

Apricot is definitely there, even a little bit at low temps.... but it's not overpowering.

Apricot is definitely there, even a little bit at low temps.... but it's not overpowering.

Cool. Good to know. I'm guessing if it's a subtle flavor that it won't really stand out in a big flavored beer. It may even go well with all the late hopping (simcoe/Amarillo). :ban: And the 80% attenuation sure sounds good for this recipe!!
Thanks for the heads up, Reno! :mug:

Cool. Good to know. I'm guessing if it's a subtle flavor that it won't really stand out in a big flavored beer. It may even go well with all the late hopping (simcoe/Amarillo). :ban: And the 80% attenuation sure sounds good for this recipe!!
Thanks for the heads up, Reno! :mug:

+1 to the bolded statement.... at least I like it. But if it doesn't suit you, it fades with a couple weeks of cellar to room-temperature "aging"

I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago with a slightly lower 75ish OG and it finished at 12 in less than 5 days. Very dry and clean with fermentation temp in the upper 60's to near 70.

Although born and raised on the east coast, when it comes to hoppy beers, I'm of the west coast mindset that says go with any clean ale yeast, 001, 1056, or us05 and use 5% simple sugar- typically corn.

For simplicity, I'd go with us05 and 4-5% corn sugar.

Well I just got back from Midwest Supply with my grains and two packs of us-05 (mrmalty says 13g or 1.2 pkgs). I'm gonna try mashing at ~150^ to increase fermentability, I do stove-top BIAB, so it's not an exact science, but I seem to get 70-75% efficiency most of the time. I think that'll get me what I'm looking for in this beer.
Thanks for the input, guys. :mug:

Back