Carafa and light roasted barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thevalkrye

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 300º roasted barley. I am thinking about substituting either normal 500º roasted barley or maybe some Carafe Special II. Any thoughts?

How much? Assuming it's not much (and I wouldn't think it would be), I'd go ahead and use normal roasted barley. Carafa Special is dehusked, which means it won't have that burnt, astringent edge that you look for from roasted barley. What's the style?

Irish red. It only calls for about 6 ounces of the 300º light roasted barley in a 6 gallon batch, for color and a very slight roasty flavor I would guess. It might help give it a dry finish too.

Substitute 5/3 as much of the 500 L roasted barley.

Carafa special will have less roasted flavor and less red color.

Substitute 5/3 as much of the 500 L roasted barley.

Carafa special will have less roasted flavor and less red color.

I'll second this. For a stout or porter I would've said straight substituting the darker roast barley for the lighter one would be no big deal, but for an Irish red the difference (according to Beersmith) is 17 SRM instead of 13, which is not insignificant. Go with 4 oz. and you'll be fine.

Back