Multiple beers and different fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosch

Reaction score
I was wondering how everyone here handles this? I'm big on having a solid process, and will put a little more work and money into it ahead of time to make it easier later.

My brewing tends to come in waves, like right now I have 4 beers, all close to the same timeline. I usually ferment cooler in the basement (around 62-65), and bring upstairs after a week or so to finish at ~68. I don't really care for this process, so plan to build a fermentation chamber, but how do you all handle this for different temps? i.e., say you have a couple beers going at 65, but want to also do a hefeweizen at a higher temp?

My idea was to turn a shelving unit into a chamber, pulling air from a fridge or freezer. Then section off an area with a bulb-in-paintcan heater to use for higher temps.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Kosch

What I do is plan - in other words, the process that I deal with is planning the order of my brewing.

Good luck with your fermentation chamber.

i have a wine fridge that i control ferm temps in (already came that way)

if it's something that needs to be <65, i put it in there
if it's a heff or soemthing that needs to be above that mark, i'll leave it at room temp
if it's something like a saison, i wrap it in blankets and periodically turn on a heating pad under it to keep it above 85* if i can.

i can understand if that didn't help much, but thats what i do, i can usually keep everything in the fridge for 2-3 days then after primary is done, i take it out, wrap it up to avoid the UV and put another in the fridge

I prefer "clean" yeasts, generally, so i don't have that problem - I just ferment at low temperatures.

But I'm open to the concept of brewing styles that require yeasts that prefer warmer climes.

How i plan to deal with that is to continue to use the coldest darkest corner of the basement, but put a DIY fermwrap w/ 110v aquarium controller around the ones that are supposed to be warmer for some period. Like how the 3787 prefers to be at 74f for a few days - that should be way easy with 2 feet of digitally controlled flexwatt tape and a water heater blanket.

Since going up in temperature is way easier than going down.

It does remain to be seen, what temperatures can be maintained in that nook during the long heat of summer, but i am cautiously optimistic that i can keep it under 70f.

You could also adopt a house yeast that likes your temps. Obviously you won't be able to use a lot of the available yeasts, but you might find something you like better!!! I have a chest freezer on a 2 stage temp controller. It only fits 1 fermenter at a time so that's what I brew.

I kind of get the impression that I may be trying to do too much too perfectly :) I think my best bet for now is just to plan like Pappers is saying. If I have that one-off (like hefe) I'll put it somewhere else.

But, maybe someday I'll have a multi-temp ferm chamber with individual heating/cooling controls and cameras to watch the action!

Thanks!

Kosch

Back