recipe reccomendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

152Sumo

Reaction score
Hello all,
after a LONG break from brewing, I am finally getting back into it. I am buying a slightly used kit that has a 5 gallon cooler converted MLT and a 3 gallon carboy. I have never done all-grain and I want to try something on my first AG try: I want to buy the ingredients for one full sized batch, and split in half. I want to buy two different yeast strains and brew the first half batch with one yeast, then do the other after I bottle the first.

Any recommendations for first AG batches? I want to keep it fairly simple. I have always wanted to brew with 3711 saison yeast.

I get inspiration from Houston brewery Saint Arnold's movable yeast series. For those that don't know, Saint Arnold brewed one batch of beer, then split the wort in half and pitched two different yeasts. The beers turned out so different! It really proves that yeast is one of the most important ingredients.

I've been brewing AG for quite sometime time now and a friend recently talked me into trying some SMaSH brews (Single Malt and Single hop). I'm hooked, and I think it would be a very good chance for your yeast to show through as well. Just a thought.

If by do the other half after you bottle you mean save the wort back and pitch the yeast then I would recommend against it.I don't think the wort would keep that long.

If by do the other half after you bottle you mean save the wort back and pitch the yeast then I would recommend against it.I don't think the wort would keep that long.

No, I want to buy ingredients for 5 gallons, then split it in half. I want to brew a half batch (2.5 gallons) one day, then brew the second half another day with the same process, only pitching a different yeast strain. Ideally, it would be nice to brew the whole batch, then split in two different fermenters with two different yeasts. Right now, I can't do that because I have a small kettle and one 3 gallon carboy.

Does anyone have a SMaSH type recipe in mind that might work well with both wyeast 3711 (I really want to try to brew with that yeast) and maybe a california/SF lager yeast?

Back