Mulberry Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzAnnie

Reaction score
GREAT MORNING! This year we are going to have a bumber crop of Mulberries...they are going to be ready in a months time, so I am looking for all the advice I can get. From what I have read on Jack Kellers site, Mulberry wine doesn't have a lot of body. Does anyone have any tips on what else they use to pair this with in the secondary? I really want the Mulberry taste. Would white grape concentrate be acceptable? I have been looking forward to making this all year, and I don't want to screw it up. Last year I didn't have enough Mulberries so I mixed them in my cactus fig wine. This year all three trees look loaded, even the small ones. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

White grape should work. Just add a little and tast as you go. Apple juice would work as well. Bananas will give you the most body and are not stongly flavored. I almost always add at least a few to every batch of wine. You can always blend it after its done if need be. Personaly I like a light wine so I would ferment just the mulberries with maybe a few bananas and call it wonderfull!

Ours dont even have leaves out yet! Are you talking about wild mulberries or cultivated ones? Red or whilte berries? You could always use a good light colored honey to make up for the sugar in the must and then backsweeten with more honey at the end. We have a bunch of wild red and some white mulberries, white ones just taste like sugar, very little flavor. We have sampled all of our red mulberries and it is surprising how different they taste from each other so we found our favorites to pick from but they are now huge so we planted some Illinois variety in our Wineyard and they are every bit as good as our best wild ones and even bigger. Good luck and I hope a big flock of birds dont get your berries! WVMJ

GREAT MORNING! This year we are going to have a bumber crop of Mulberries...they are going to be ready in a months time, so I am looking for all the advice I can get. From what I have read on Jack Kellers site, Mulberry wine doesn't have a lot of body. Does anyone have any tips on what else they use to pair this with in the secondary? I really want the Mulberry taste. Would white grape concentrate be acceptable? I have been looking forward to making this all year, and I don't want to screw it up. Last year I didn't have enough Mulberries so I mixed them in my cactus fig wine. This year all three trees look loaded, even the small ones. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

Ours dont even have leaves out yet! Are you talking about wild mulberries or cultivated ones? Red or whilte berries? You could always use a good light colored honey to make up for the sugar in the must and then backsweeten with more honey at the end. We have a bunch of wild red and some white mulberries, white ones just taste like sugar, very little flavor. We have sampled all of our red mulberries and it is surprising how different they taste from each other so we found our favorites to pick from but they are now huge so we planted some Illinois variety in our Wineyard and they are every bit as good as our best wild ones and even bigger. Good luck and I hope a big flock of birds dont get your berries! WVMJ

We have lots of little berries, and "berry" few leaves, actually they started coming on in the middle of March, but got frosted on twice. We are in southern Mississippi. I don't know if they are cultivated or wild. We have one tree, purchased from a nursery, so I would assume that it is cultivated, and three others from an Arbor Day promotion, that I don't know their provenance, but all have purple berries. The birds and I have an understanding...they get the top ones, and I get the bottom ones, as long as I pick them first thing in the morning! :) As long as I have you on the horn, and since you are the Elderberry officianado, is there a difference between store bought elderberry plants, and wild? I have about 8 wild ones, that we transplanted, and one nursery bought, I also have 15 cuttings, I rooted from the wild stock, that I am going to transplant soon. Would the all be the same, as the nursery stock was sold under the Sambucus nigra name?
I wanted to mention, I saw the coolest mulberry tree called a Pakistan Mulberry, but we have absolutely no room left in the yard for another tree (so says the husband), but I would love one of these!!!

mulberry.jpg

Wow those are some mulberries! Here in Oklahoma I grew up with 2 mulberry trees and the berry body only grew to 1/2" long, those look 2" - 3" long lol. I don't know if yours taste like ours did but if they were the color of the one on the far left then they would be pretty tart. They had to be closer to the one on the far right to get the sweet taste to come through.

I second swapping sugar for honey & back sweetening with honey. That will help to add body. If you don't go that rout then Welche's White Grape frozen concentrate would be my second choice.

I am not an expert on anything, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once! Your local berries will probably do very well with some water for you. The Nigra was probably a show plant with purple leaves? Our Nigras died out after a couple of years and I have planted several other NIgra varieties and none survived. We do have some kind of fungus maybe that attacks the developing flower heads and then we dont get berries. Hoping this year we can get some berries, I am really like dried elderberry mead everytime I open a bottle of it up. WVMJ

We have lots of little berries, and "berry" few leaves, actually they started coming on in the middle of March, but got frosted on twice. We are in southern Mississippi. I don't know if they are cultivated or wild. We have one tree, purchased from a nursery, so I would assume that it is cultivated, and three others from an Arbor Day promotion, that I don't know their provenance, but all have purple berries. The birds and I have an understanding...they get the top ones, and I get the bottom ones, as long as I pick them first thing in the morning! :) As long as I have you on the horn, and since you are the Elderberry officianado, is there a difference between store bought elderberry plants, and wild? I have about 8 wild ones, that we transplanted, and one nursery bought, I also have 15 cuttings, I rooted from the wild stock, that I am going to transplant soon. Would the all be the same, as the nursery stock was sold under the Sambucus nigra name?
I wanted to mention, I saw the coolest mulberry tree called a Pakistan Mulberry, but we have absolutely no room left in the yard for another tree (so says the husband), but I would love one of these!!!

Wow those are some mulberries! Here in Oklahoma I grew up with 2 mulberry trees and the berry body only grew to 1/2" long, those look 2" - 3" long lol. I don't know if yours taste like ours did but if they were the color of the one on the far left then they would be pretty tart. They had to be closer to the one on the far right to get the sweet taste to come through.

I second swapping sugar for honey & back sweetening with honey. That will help to add body. If you don't go that rout then Welche's White Grape frozen concentrate would be my second choice.

Arpolis, those aren't my mulberry's. Those are from a tree, I wished I had. Mine are the standard, deep purple that are about an inch long. They are by far, my favorite berries, I have eaten them all my life, but I have yet to make a wine with "just" mulberries. Thanks everybody, for all the input, I will put it to good use, as I am looking at those precious "green" berries, out my window, as I type this!

I am not an expert on anything, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once! Your local berries will probably do very well with some water for you. The Nigra was probably a show plant with purple leaves? Our Nigras died out after a couple of years and I have planted several other NIgra varieties and none survived. We do have some kind of fungus maybe that attacks the developing flower heads and then we dont get berries. Hoping this year we can get some berries, I am really like dried elderberry mead everytime I open a bottle of it up. WVMJ

I really like the dried elderberry wine. I always feel like I am doing something good for my body, while I am imbibing! :)
WVMJ - Can this help your fungus? http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNbrJqtZL5s&h=NAQHfGaqv

WoooHooo, the husband just told me that he could "find" room for the Pakistan Mulberries, whose pics I posted above. I am so excited!!! His love of mulberries, equals mine...:)

THanks, Somebody get that dude some suround brand kaolin clay spray for his garden. Hoping to hit it hard with sulfur if we can get the timing right, trying really hard not to spray much since we have lots of bees around now.. WVMJ

I really like the dried elderberry wine. I always feel like I am doing something good for my body, while I am imbibing! :)
WVMJ - Can this help your fungus? http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNbrJqtZL5s&h=NAQHfGaqv

Back