Temperature of primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srb4128

Reaction score
I am on day 6 of the primary and all the sings point to active fermentation. However, as I read research i realize that my basement sits at about 60 degrees...is this too cold for the primary? Should I add more yeast and bring it upstairs? Unused danstar Windsor dry yeast

I am on day 6 of the primary and all the sings point to active fermentation. However, as I read research i realize that my basement sits at about 60 degrees...is this too cold for the primary? Should I add more yeast and bring it upstairs? Unused danstar Windsor dry yeast

No, you're in good shape. My coal room is about 59 degrees these days and my last 3 batches of bitter with Danstar Windsor yeast, did great. no fusels, no funky off tastes, just good beer.

Rejoice! :tank:

Rick

The minimum temperature Danstar reccomends is about 62, so you wouldn't want it dipping too far below there. Fermentation generates some heat of its own, so in a 60F basement, as long as the fermenter isn't right on a concrete floor or anything, you're probably fine. It'll just take longer to complete fermentation.

You may want to rouse the yeast so ensure they don't completely fall out before they are done fermenting. I'd also look into getting a brewing heat belt or wrap and maybe putting an old blanket or jacket over the beer.

That is good temperature for most ale yeasts. Like others said, the wort temperature will be warmer than the ambient temperature. You want the temperature of the wort to remain as stable as possible, so once fermentation starts to slow (stops producing as much heat) you could move it to a slightly warmer area if possible. Depending on how warm it is upstairs, you may be better off just leaving it in the basement for the duration though.

Back