Can I use this as a bottling container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsamp

Reaction score
I saw these at Walmart today. They are five gallons. If I can I would rig something up so I could use a bottle filler attachement. I ask because its cheaper than a bottling bucket from my supply and I could use my existing one as a second fermenter.

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG0.jpg

I would just get a bucket. The bucket will be more useful in the long run IMO. And I cannot think that the price difference is really breaking the bank on this one...

I would just get a bucket. The bucket will be more useful in the long run IMO. And I cannot think that the price difference is really breaking the bank on this one...

Ya your right about it not breaking the bank. We usually get the similar but smaller 1.5 gallon disposable containers of water for the fridge anyway. So when I saw that I thought hey we could drink the water and have a hopefully usable container for the homebrewing.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work, my only concern would be cleanliness. That handle has awkward corners that you won't be able to access to clean. I think if you took care to keep it clean right after you used it, it wouldn't be a problem.

That being said, I would still invest in a bottling bucket. You could do what I do, and use that container to store Oxy-Clean solution, or sanitizing solution. I like keeping 5 gallons or so handy in case I need to quickly use it.

You can use them. But, shouldn't for all the reasons already cited. Namely the handle being a hassle to clean. But, then again, Oxyclean is a miracle brewers cleaner.

I use this type of container to haul water.....but I use the Coleman 5 gal. blue jug, because the handle is far superior to anything I've tried. I wouldn't consider it for bottling or fermenting, however. Too many alternatives that are just as cheap and a lot easier to clean. My standby has been and remains the "Ale Pail" plastic bucket in some form. My favorite ones are the 7 gal. buckets from U.S. Plastics...but you don't really have to buy these things, if money is your concern. Just troll the bakeries (or supermarkets incorporating not only bakeries but delis) in your area. These places go through bunches of these buckets a week, in various sizes. My IGA store keeps a list for people who want buckets, and I didn't have to wait long to get a couple of really nice 3.5 gal. buckets with lids that I can use for smaller batches. These hold bulk ingredients like icing and the like. If you go to the deli, I've read elsewhere that you should avoid buckets that originally contained dill pickles, they said you cannot get the dill pickle odor out, and it will get in your beer.

I've read elsewhere that you should avoid buckets that originally contained dill pickles, they said you cannot get the dill pickle odor out, and it will get in your beer.

mmmm dill pickle lager lol

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm definitely going to check with local stores to see if I can find a free bucket or two.

Does that contain water in it when you buy it? Or do you have to fill it before use? If it's full when purchased, use the water for your boil, and then use the container to secondary in. Dispose the container after that, since it would be difficult to clean.

You have to fill it yourself. They have a filtered water station right next to the containers. I probably won't get it now after the comments.

Latest posts

Back