How long at higher mash temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I seem to consistently come in under my target mash temp. I think it's because I'm not striking hot enough. My paranoia is that I'm going to destroy the alpha enzymes if I strike to hot.

How long can the alpha enzymes survive temps above their range? Like if I strike with 165-170 and then just stir until I hit in the low 150's, would I be okay?

I struk at 160 this weekend and just barely hit 149.

i'm using beersmith. still isn't working out for me. i generally go a couple degrees higher than beersmith too and am still not having the best accuracy.

i'm using beersmith. still isn't working out for me. i generally go a couple degrees higher than beersmith too and am still not having the best accuracy.

If you're using a cooler for an MLT, preheating it helps so much! Even with a preheated MLT, I usually have to strike with water 11 degrees higher than my desired mash temp. So, for a mash at 154, it's common for me to strike with 165 degree water.

If you add a gallon of 180 degree water to your MLT to preheat it, and check the temp in 10 minutes, I bet you'd discover that the water was only about 150 degrees! The cooler sucks up a ton of heat at first (I have a cold brew room, usually) but once it's preheated, it holds the mash temps within one degree in an hour mash.

Don't be afraid to strike hotter! You can have a tray of ice cubes sitting next to you if the temp doesn't drop correctly, but I doubt it will be necessary!

Don't be afraid to strike hotter! You can have a tray of ice cubes sitting next to you if the temp doesn't drop correctly, but I doubt it will be necessary!

that's what i was thinking... i just didn't know how long you could be in that hotter range before you'd kill off all of your alpha amalaise. if it takes a little while then it's not a problem to strike hotter and then just stir a bit (or add ice cubes like you suggest) until the temp drops to target.

beersmith does not appear to account for ANY efficiency loss. i have to consistently make my strike water about 2-4 degrees higher than what it calls for.

make sure you have the right temps of the grain and your mashing vessel in your mash profile in beersmith. I have found it to be very accurate when I am accurate.

Latest posts

Back