Moved to Secondary - Concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohovie

Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions/topics, I feel like an idiot for asking so many, I just want this beer to work out.

So last night I moved my batch over to the secondary from the primary. It went allright. I do have a coupel concerns though.

1. I didn't get every last drop, infact, I left a bit behind that was at the bottom and the racking cane couldn't pick it up. Should I have tilted the tub to get everything out? When the process was all done, I topped off the secondary to near the top, as per the batch instructions. I ended up adding 3 cups of water in. Is that too much?

2. A fair bit of debris came over in the transfer, i'm not talkign about the sediment at the bottom, but more of the stuff floating in. I believe it is from the hops. Is there better way to transfer it without picking this all up? Is there a problem that this came over to the secondary?

3. I attached the airlock and it started bubbling for a few minutes, then stoped. So I re adjusted it then it started bubblign again, then stoped. I did this a bunch of times. Is my airlock faulty? or do I just not have any air releasing from the batch?

Thanks guys, sorry for the long post.
Mike

1. Generally I wouldn't top up a beer batch. Personally I would rather have slightly less yield than to water it down. Don't worry about getting every last bit out. The amount of trub you'll probably pick up makes it not really worth it.

2. Some people wrap a hop bag around their syphon to help keep some of that stuff out. It should all settle out in secondary though so I wouldn't worry about it.

3. There is little to no fermentation in secondary (better called a clearing tank) so the little airlock action you will get is just CO2 off-gassing from the beer. Also not something to worry about.

rohovie said:
2. A fair bit of debris came over in the transfer, i'm not talkign about the sediment at the bottom, but more of the stuff floating in. I believe it is from the hops. Is there better way to transfer it without picking this all up? Is there a problem that this came over to the secondary?

How long was it in the primary that you still had stuff floating in it?

brewt00l said:
How long was it in the primary that you still had stuff floating in it?

It was in the primary for about 6 days. A lot of the stuff that transfered over was settled to the bottom, but I don't know if it ws too light, or what. But I think the the of the siphon sucked it up the tupe and into the secondary.

Thanks,

Back