Need help finding SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

five0matt

Reaction score
Made a 1gallon batch of cider with tree top cider, but forgot to take an OG reading. Does anyone know what my OG should've been? My recipe was a scaled down version of apfelwein.
1 gallon tree top cider
1 cup sugar
And I used Moncharet yeast.

Any help would be appreciated so I can calculate AVB when it's done. Thanks in advance.

Matt

I'm about to do a 1 gal batch myself. I cant answer your question but would like to know if you used regular sugar or corn sugar? Is it a big deal to do regular sugar? TIA

Mark

you can't really guess at the sugar content of a juice with unknown sugar content. well... that's not true- you can guess all you like. i would get another jug and measure it, you can estimate the sugar addition easily enough.
if you want a (really) gross estimate try 1.050 for the juice + 1 cup (estimated 225 g) gets you to 1.706 ish in your volume?

Like dinnerstick said, it's a guess unless you buy more juice. I would guess a bit lower. Probably around 1.066. Most cider I've seen is in the 1.045 - 1.054 range. A cup of sugar is 8 fluid oz, but probably only weighs 6-7 oz (170-200 grams). That adds about 18 points to the gravity.

probably bet much lower! i meant 1.076 not 1.706!! holy chowdah that would be some cider

Thanks guys. I tried it last night and it was great, it could still use a little more time for the flavors to mellow out, but great for such a simple recipe. I used just used table sugar by the way. I've read that brown sugar works well for this also, I may try that in a later batch.

Latest posts

Back