Extra Special English Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turricaine

Reaction score
Grain Bill:

3kg Crushed Pale
250g Crushed Crystal
1.6kg Pale Malt Extract
60g Black Patent

Preboil Volume 6.5 gallon
Postboil Volume 5.5 gallon

Hops:

Half (2oz apparently although it usually weighs more) foil-packed Fuggles for the full duration of the boil.

Yeast: Muntons Gold.

Have you brewed this yet?

I'd use some of the left over hops for aroma. I'd also, probably, ditch the patent but then I like my beers fairly light, copper coloured.

/Phil.

That little black patent won't change the color much. I'd also be tempted to split the hops up, but I really like Fuggles.

I did this on Tuesday and will be kegging it in a week or so.

I dont think i'll be doing anymore partial mashes if I can avoid it. I realized the reason for getting 'watery' brews was that I was shying away from collecting more wort thatn the 5.5 gallon capacity of my boiler. And then I was not spending long enough evaporating the excess water to get wort the required OG.

I already know what my next 'recipe' will look like but im gonna compile a complete tutorial at some stage to explain the finer details.

I tried a few swigs of this today as I transferred to secondary. No banana tones at all and the taste was very satisfying. If anything the hops is dead in the middle using 4.7% AA. Next time I may even be tempted to use 5% for extra richness. The black patent is hardly noticeable in this amount.

Back